1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Jan 17, 2001.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I got my new issue of LANDSCAPE MANAGEMENT magazine today and they were profiling 3 differnt companys. One was Davey Tree Expert Co., 2000 revenue was $315,000,000.00. Not too bad huh?

The next guy was considered a medium company and did not disclose his revenue---------wonder why?

The next guy was a small contractor in Dallas, Four Square Landscaping Co., has 18 employees and grossed $1,000,000.00!

If he is small then what the heck am I? Homer's Micro-mini Landscaping Co. You have to make a million a year to be considered small, I don't get it.

Maybe my 5 yr plan will be to make it to a trade magazine in the "small" category. or maybe I'll move to Dallas cause there ain't no million a year in my future!
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Homer, Maybe they'll profile companies like ours on the back of a match book!
  3. I think the catergory goes from $0 to 1,000,000.:)
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

We may be small but we have "BIG" mowers :)
  5. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

Hey HOMER. Is that Davey Tree in Canada?
  6. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I hope to someday be a small company. I guess I am like Homer, I am a micro lawn care company.
  7. T.C.O.B.

T.C.O.B. LawnSite Member
    from Zone 9

The U.S. goverment considers any company employing less than five hundred people a small business. Whew! thats alot of grass to be cutting.
  8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

The magazine says Davey Tree Experts, Chantily, Va.
    They have the contract to maintain Arlington cemetary!
    135 workers during peak season
    mow more than 100 acres a day-rain or shine
    remove 300 loads of leaves each year
    lay 60,000 sq.ft. of sod each year!

they own a school bus which hauls employees and string trimmers.
  9. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I guess I'm the same as you guys. I'm micro as well.

I never had understood the term small business. Seems like more and more there "small businesses" grossing $1 mil or more. I have a hard time doing over $100K. Most years its like $60K - 70K gross.

I would hope if I did $1 mil I wouldn't have the income to debt ratio that I have now. If bid debt comes with big incomes than I don't want it.
  10. Guest

About 2 years ago i needed to buy a truck cause my old pickup wasnt doing it anymore. So I looked into getting loans and stuff like that. I tied to apply for the American Express Small Buis card, I dont know if you guys seen the commercial of a landscape architect neede to grow so he went to American Express bla bla .Now I showed gross of about 140,000 a year and they denied.I looked into small buis loans from state and federal and i know they consider min 500,000 as a small buis.I cant figure it out either.