Small crack... large repair

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Dec 13, 2005.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Since I've been awarded a gold star on picture compression thought I'd share a few pics taken yesterday during a repair project at one of our high schools. A small crack in a 4" tee lead to rerouting and the replacement of an old gate valve with a new resilient wedge valve. Total material costs = $900. (R/W valve will be installed tomorrow since it had to be ordered.)

Picture #1: 2-1/2" long crack in original 4" PVC tee. The water from this crack had already sawn through two controller wires.

Picture #2: Left tee is where the crack occurred at a 3" main line spur that heads to the JV baseball field. Second tee is a 4" main line spur that heads off to a five zone system (expandable to 12 zones in future to replace a quick coupler area) near the varsity baseball field. (Round green box covers an existing R/W valve that had been buried and lost for quite some time.) Rectangle valve box covers an old 4" gate valve and was also used as a wire make-up box. That part of the line heads to the varsity baseball field.

Picture #3: First two main line spurs joined past the existing R/W valve so it will control isolation of both these spur lines without disrupting the varsity baseball field.

Picture #4: Everything cut away and ready to be put back together.

Picture #5: Repairs made and gap left for new R/W valve to isolate varsity baseball field. Decided to forgo a wire make-up box, DBYed the wire connections and direct buried them. The two R/W valves will have new Christy G-5 concrete boxes set with cast iron lids so they won't be completely lost in the future.

MWHS BB Field Main Line Leak IV-01.jpg

MWHS BB Field Main Line Leak IV-02.jpg

MWHS BB Field Main Line Leak IV-03.jpg

MWHS BB Field Main Line Leak IV-04.jpg

MWHS BB Field Main Line Leak IV-05.jpg

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Makes me wonder, does anyone still make resilient wedge valves in sizes smaller than two inch?

3. PurpHaze

I haven't seen them, but then again we only use the resilient wedge gate valves in 3" and above because we're using them as positive shutoff for major main line sections. The ones we get from Ferguson Supply (used to be Westburne) are the ones with the square heads that take street keys to open/close and are often referred to as "fire main" valves. When we have a smaller main line spur we'll use a Flowmaster gate valve since it won't be used for everyday turning. On occasion we'll spend the extra money and install a brass curb stop that also takes a special key if the situation warrants that we don't want Joe Blow to be able to open/close the valve.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Smaller ones might be a remnant of pre-ball-valve days. I know that Watts backflow preventors in small sizes had resilient <i>seat</i> gate valves, just prior to going to ball valves.

5. PurpHaze

I know that the "fire main" rated ones are also used on some of the larger backflow setups.

6. PurpHaze

Finally got the R/W valve in today. Put it together and glued 15" sections of 4" pipe onto both flanges. Will let it set up overnight and then couple it onto the main line tomorrow. Suckers went up $50 to $308 not counting PVC flanges, gaskets and bolt sets that are sold separately.

MWHS BB Field Main Line Leak IV-02.jpg

7. AssuredServicesCo

AssuredServicesCo LawnSite Member

Hey PurpHaze, what are those grey connectors called in your jpeg3. Thanks. Are they on the main line or lateral line after the valve.

8. PurpHaze

Those are genuine "Dresser" couplings (that's what the sticker says) and they're used on pressure lines to make connections. By tightening the bolts the end rings compress wedge-shaped seals between the pipe and coupling barrel to make a watertight connection. Both the lines in the picture are different main lines that we joined together so they are both isolated by the existing R/W valve. They're basically a transition coupling and several different companies make their own styles including Romac and Baker where the couplings are a little bulkier. These Dressers are the "short barrel" type and they also make a "long barrel" type. I've used them on pipe from 2-1/2" d. up to 8" d. without any problems of leaking. Pressure lines smaller than 2-1/2" d. we use either galvanized or PVC compression couplings.

Here's a picture of the newly completed R/W valve assembly placed inline on the main 4" main line using dresser couplings.

MWHS BB Field Main Line Leak IV-06.jpg

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Whats the cost on a dresser coupling? Cheaper than a KwikCouple at 4" or a Flowspan?

10. PurpHaze

Our cost is around $67 on the 4" size.