Small CT sprayer... Will this work? (Bill, this one is mainly for you)

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by JDUtah, May 31, 2008.

1. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Ok, so as of now, the only sprayers I have are used for '-cides'. As most of you know I am switching a couple trial lawns to organics to learn the ropes. I want a good CT sprayer, but not a huge investment yet. And yes, right now I don't want to use the hose end sprayer. Mostly due to the chlorinated water and, lol to me, it just feels too cheap. I will be using Bills 123 CT. Do you think this is a good sprayer?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...erformics&cm_pla=Performics&cm_ite=Performics

Reason I think so...

-4gpm, for good spray till drip

-mix one application at a time (most lawns around 5,000 Sqft) (am i correct Bill, no incubation time with your 123?)

-It appears I can adjust the nozzles so it doesn't have the full 32' spray swath.

Another question, are the microbes in most CT's sun sensitive? Does a clear tank cause problems? If so what do you guys do? I know if I mix and spray it isn't an issue, but what about 300+ gallons of the stuff, can my tech apply it all day in the sun? Unless of course it is cloudy and raining. :)

Well, off to a nap for me. I hate getting up and mowing on saturday's.

2. JDUtah

from UT

Ok, so the nap is over. Almost heading to family dinner party though. It looks like the pump is really a 3.8 GPM diaphram. Gets up to 45 PSI. I will call them monday and make sure, but what do you guys think?

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe Bill posted this exact sprayer on another list as one he was looking at or purchased.

As far as the sun hurting your microbes, I believe Bill also has said 95% of the microbes in ICT are dormant, meaning they "wake up" when conditions are right. So, the sun shouldn't hurt them. If making CT, the sun could affect some microbes, but promote phototrophic microbes that like the sun.

4. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I believe it comes down mainly to the nozzle. As far as I know I have a Lesco spacesaver and he hasn't made any special notes as to what nozzles to use or not to use. I believe, which means I could be way off, still learning, that it starts really mattering when you get into the "real" compost tea you make yourself. Some of the fungi are too big to fit through the normal screen and are lost. That is when you have to watch what you use.

I THINK I might be getting the hang of this. But again, I still haven't come close to reaching the surface of all of this let alone put a scratch in it.

5. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

JDUtah, That sprayer would work. The boomless nozzles aren't adjustable, as far as I could tell, but do shut off left, right and or middle. The 3.8 gpm pump rating is at 0 psi, at 20-25 psi you would be around 2 gpm. A 32' swath, would take only 31 linear ft to hit 1000sq ft[992]. You would have to drive really slow to get your target rate of 1-2 gal/K for a soil soak. Not knocking you at all, I just went thru setting up a sprayer similiar to the one you posted. If I could be of more assistance, ask away. I am far from an expert on spraying, but after 2-3 months of experimenting w/ these sprayers I know alot more than when I started. Mike

6. JDUtah

from UT

Thanks for the input guys!

Wallz, glad you piped in. Do you think i could easily switch the nozzles and put ones on that have a 6' foot swath. Or maybe just build my own sprayer? I wonder what would be cheaper. I started to wonder if you could adjust those nozzles last night. Most my lawns have ins and outs that 6' or so would be most appropriate. That would help with the 3 GPK also. Hmm, or maybe i just use a gun and hand spray it, after all it's just a couple learning lawns.

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

We are playing with that exact sprayer, it does have 2 nozzles, one left and one right that are mounted on a steel bracket. It is hard to believe that it puts out a 32 foot swath but it does, its almost TOO much. We ordered the 11 foot nozzle, it isn't here yet,we also ordered the 7 GPM pumps to see if we could kick it up a notch and move a little quicker through the yard.

Yes our products are mix and spray in the field, no brewing

If you think about it, to do 5000 sq ft you only need 10 to 15 gallons of water (80 to 120 Lbs.) and 2 or 3 ounces of our product. You can come on the property empty (saves money on gasoline), start to fill with the customers hose while you do something else, a couple minutes later your spraying compost tea. The unit is 12 volt so you can hook it the battery in the truck or on you lawn mower

8. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

9. JDUtah

from UT

So I bought this guy today. Found it on a local news listing.

It has a 15 gallon tank, a hand sprayer with 10?' of hose/hand sprayer and the guy made a little boom to attach to the back of a 4 wheeler. I will have to modify the boom a little. Oh, the pump is a Flojet 2.1 GPM, 60 PSI, 12 Volt. This is where I took a little risk in buying it.

The pump wasn't working. Hooked it up and it has power. Turned it on and it tried. Just didn't pump... no pressure either. I pulled the hose off and filled it with water to see it it needed a prime, but nope. The people bought it a couple years ago and only used it 3-4 times. Maybe the diagram got old and brittle? I unscrewed it and took a quick glance but didn't have time to really inspect.

The pump had a phone number on it for service and upon calling it the company seemed to be pretty on top of things. No help during that call... the troubleshooting guy was busy. I couldn't really wait as I had to get back to work (a couple rainy days of no mowing, and a $2,500 mulch customer trying to weasel out of paying 'because they delivered the mulch today') so I figured I would chance it and buy it so I could be on my way. I mean, not too risky a deal for $70.

Anyways any suggestions on the pump before I blindly perform operation? Thanks in advance.

5207481.jpg

10. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

open it up, its a simple pump. just un clog the rubber parts grease with silicone and reassemble it, it should be fine if not the pumps are cheap at northern tool or another company, try e bay??? thats how we got our start there, it takes me back a few years, Dixie chopper with a sprayer strapped to it, ahh the good old days!!!!