Small Dual Hydro Wak Behind Controls

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daner, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Guys...I'm trying to find out all the I can with your experince with dual hydro WB....Operator friendly Is important to me.
    Where I need to use this machine I s on slopes...ditches and around trees on some flat and hilly areas...The size that I have on my mind Is a 36 -48 " max.
    What have you noticed from your experience about the Hydro-stat controls...what will work the best In your opinion?
    And which brand of machine work the best for you For this application?
    Daner

2. Daner

I have my eye on a good deal for a Hustler TrimStar WB 36".
    I like the stearing design of them...and that you can run It with one hand.

3. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Hustler, Best controls in the industry. No one other then the Toro t-bar come close.

4. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Ferris.
    Best in the biz for tough hilly stuff.

5. Daner

I'm doing a demo on a 36 Hustler In the morning...I'm Interested In the way the little machine handles:weightlifter:<---------------Daner Building up his Biceps

6. Danner;
    I'm looking for the same thing.

Never thought I'd like the Hustler for this type of work. I like controls that have a place to hang onto to help drag me along up a bank, out of the ditch or whatever. It doesn't seem to me you could do that with the Hustler 'cause it'd interfer with controling the speed. Those controls seem more for standing on a sulkey. It appears like going in and out of ditches, or crawling under crabapple trees and the like would cause you to change the speed input.

I've been considering Gravely. they have a lever that moves between two stationary bars. But you have to change hand positions to go to reverse. Not something I'd want to do would be to let go of the handle while I'm halfway up a steep bank.

Dashunde says Ferris? I'll look at them too at the EXPO next month.

I hope you get more replies.

Dave

7. Turfsnow

Turfsnow LawnSite Member
    from NH

we use old, old, honda commercial wb. The only reason we keep them is because they side hill like nothing else. They have dual sticks, so you can set each wheel speed separately, combined with the pistol grips, and the thing can go on just about any slope. Too bad they don't make any more, sorry I am not much help, good luck.

8. surgeon83

surgeon83 LawnSite Member

I concur. That's precisely why I bought mine and now I swear by it.

My Ferris 61 DD would mow even wet, muddy slopes of probably 40-45 degrees (my best estimate of the slopes) without slipping. On dry hills, I could even stay on the bullrider and mow at any angle I wanted.

I think any other mower would be the same if you gave it at least a 4' wheelbase and 8"+ wide tires.

9. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

probably a high estimate on the degrees of your slopes. more likely 20-25 degrees.

10. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought this too when looking at hustlers at first. In fact theres a few very hilly props where the mower pulls me up the hill, Not hard at all to get pulled up a hill.