Small Dump Truck - Gas vs. Diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pblc, Aug 8, 2010.

1. pblc

pblc LawnSite Member
    from South

Age old question. We currently run a Ford F450 Dump with the 7.3 diesel. In an attempt to lower overhead I'm looking into buying a 350/450 with a V8. We don't use our dump truck every day. Usually once a week now and probably 3 times a week during the spring busy season.

Mainly used to haul mulch and occasionally some dirt or rock. What are the majority of yall using? Do the V8s hold up and have enough power to work well? Everything we have now are diesels - so this would be a big step down. But if we don't work it too hard I think it would.

Poll - how many guys run dumps gas vs. diesel...? Thanks.

2. TurboMazda

TurboMazda LawnSite Member

I don't have those equipments but I'll prefer diesel over gas any time......

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

How is replacing a truck that serves your purposes going to reduce overhead....... I am not trying to be a smarta$$. Just curious.... I run a 93 Chevy 3500HD dump with the 454....about the same way you say you do. It is a major gas hog.

4. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

get a v10 450, more breathing room than a 350 and plenty of power.

5. StrokerTurbo7.3

StrokerTurbo7.3 LawnSite Member

What he said. Diesel will last longer with proper maintenance and be more efficient than a gasser.

7.3=Old reliable

6. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

I like diesels but I really wonder if they are cost effective. With the initial cost now up to like $8000 more and diesel fuel more expensive than gas. Repairs more expensive, oil changes way more expensive. We never put tons and tons of miles before we get rid of them. Most of the time around 80k before we trade em in. Not sure its worth buying a diesel.

7. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i'm with DRM as well. if you have one of the older idi engines parts are extremely cheap for repairs. i don't think there is a gas or diesel engine built these days that would be any better for your purposes than what you have.

8. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

Not everyone wants a diesel to put high miles on them. I know I like my diesel for the extra torque, there have been several times if I had a gasser I wouldn't be able to pull what I was pulling.

9. pblc

pblc LawnSite Member
    from South

Come on boys. It's a numbers and cents game. I can reduce overhead because the gas truck would cost me about $5k less than a comparable diesel. I'm not buying brand new trucks like some - we aren't that big of an outfit. If I only have a few thousand in the machine I can put the remainer in my retirement fund, etc.

I'm simply asking if there are other outfits doing light work with smaller dumps, running gas engines and having luck out of them.

10. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

I understand that and thats why I keep buying them. We are only pulling a 10k # trailer at best though. Diesel is definitely better for towing but I think a gasser would probably pull what we need. Not as efficiently though.