Small Engine 10W-30/SAE 30 Oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AmsoilPower, Dec 26, 2007.

1. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Amsoil has a small engine oil for your lawnmower needs. Specs are as follows:

API SL, SJ, SH, SG (Gasoline)

API CF, CD (Diesel)

Eliminate damaging engine sludge with synthetic oil.

Commercial accounts save 20-30% off retail prices.

PM or email me with any questions you may have.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Better yet, why don't we just discuss it right here?

I've seen it on their website and been interested... but Napa here doesn't have that particular one.

Tell us about it and how it compares to others.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Also, maybe you can be the one to "debunk" the rest of the SAE30 users I could not convince.

I think Amsoil did a good job on this 'labeling' tactic... lol...
    Formula 4-StrokeĀ® 10W-30/SAE 30 Synthetic Small Engine Oil (ASE)

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

My dealer sells that formula 4 stroke oil. Says he likes it but it aint cheap. Once I get new equipment, I may start running it. For now, Standard sae 30wt willl do just fine for me.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

too hot in fla for 10w-30

6. AmsoilPower

The Amsoil small engine oil is formulated w/ premium synthetic base oils that exceed both 10W-30 and SAE30 viscosity requirements. Amsoil ASE oil has a naturally high viscosity index and does not contain paraffin (wax). Has a -38F degrees pour point which qualifies it for SAE 10W. This makes it a "all season" multi-grade oil with a wide operating temp range. It resists oxidation and oil evaporation that causes oil thickening (sludge) and helps reduce oil consumption. Shear stable w/ no friction modifiers and wet clutch compatible making it ideal for hydrostatic transmissions and some hydrualics.

JASO MA/MA2 (Motorcycle Wet Clutch)

See above post for other specs.

As for the debate of multi-grade vs. straight oil, people are going to have opinions. I was always told for years, use 10W-30 in OHV engines and SAE30 in the flat heads. These days w/ the quality of fuel being crap and leaner carb settings people are having a harder time starting some mowers. Especially in the cooler climates in early spring or fall when it could be quite cool the oil is thick and full of sludge because oil doesn't get changed. However, during the hot/very humid central Illinois weather you want the protection of the SAE30 oil for the amount of heat these engines produce. But remember, dirty conventional oil causes drastically more heat therefore damaging your engine. Amsoil ASE has a wide temp range to cover whatever the elements are. Obviously, it is a synthetic oil which will make it easier to start but does not break down in high heat. All this while keeping the engine temps cooler.

As for the price......as a commercial account (which costs you $0.00) a case runs $51.60 or $4.30/qt.

7. AmsoilPower

The Amsoil small engine oil is formulated w/ premium synthetic base oils that exceed both 10W-30 and SAE30 viscosity requirements. Amsoil ASE oil has a naturally high viscosity index and does not contain paraffin (wax). Has a -38F degrees pour point which qualifies it for SAE 10W. This makes it a "all season" multi-grade oil with a wide operating temp range. It resists oxidation and oil evaporation that causes oil thickening (sludge) and helps reduce oil consumption. Shear stable w/ no friction modifiers and wet clutch compatible making it ideal for hydrostatic transmissions and some hydrualics.

JASO MA/MA2 (Motorcycle Wet Clutch)

See above post for other specs.

As for the debate of multi-grade vs. straight oil, people are going to have opinions. I was always told for years, use 10W-30 in OHV engines and SAE30 in the flat heads. These days w/ the quality of fuel being crap and leaner carb settings people are having a harder time starting some mowers. Especially in the cooler climates in early spring or fall when it could be quite cool the oil is thick and full of sludge because oil doesn't get changed. However, during the hot/very humid central Illinois weather you want the protection of the SAE30 oil for the amount of heat these engines produce. But remember, dirty conventional oil causes drastically more heat therefore damaging your engine. Amsoil ASE has a wide temp range to cover whatever the elements are. Obviously, it is a synthetic oil which will make it easier to start but does not break down in high heat. All this while keeping the engine temps cooler.

As for the price......as a commercial account (which costs you $0.00) a case runs $51.60 or $4.30/qt.:)

8. AmsoilPower

Sorry for the duplication. I don't know how it happened.:hammerhead:

9. Envy Lawn Service

All 10w30 has to meet or exceed viscosity requirements for 10w30 and SAE30.
    But trying to tell some of these guys this is like.... :hammerhead:

This would make it excellent for all those other hydros that call for 10w30 or SAE30 like some of the zero turn transaxles... maybe Eaton's call for it?

I'm also betting since it meets both JASO specs that it is very stable, and contains plenty of ZDDP/Zinc. I bet it's not API SM rated is it? (goody!)

Tell me about it... LOL :laugh:

That price sounds much better than the shelf prices for it here at Napa.
    What are the shipping charges like though?

10. AmsoilPower

Commercial shipping prices are as follows per lbs:

0-3 $6.50
    3-6.9 $7.25
    7-13.9 $8.10
    14-23.9 $8.95
    24-39.9 $0.37/lb
    40-59.9 $0.33/lb
    60-99.9 $0.28/lb
    100-249.9 $.27/lb
    250-499.9 $.24/lb
    500-1000 $0.21/lb
    1000+ $0.18/lb

1 case = 24.1 lbs = $8.92 shipping according to my math

Prices do not include sales taxes obviously.