Small Engine Service Dealer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by james34, May 21, 2008.

1. james34

james34 LawnSite Member

What Is The Policy Or Agreement On The Contract Of The Engine Manufactures Of Kawasaki,honda,briggs,tecumseh,kohler Regarding How Much Parts You Have To Stock Before You Become A Service Dealer What Are They Saying About How Much You Have To Spend Before You Can Do Any Warranty Work I Was Wanting To Get More Buisness By Showing People That I Am A Engine Service Dealer .

2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

1) Get a tax number.
    2) Get liability insurance.

Without a tax number, the manufacturers won't even want to deal with you. The insurance is to CYA in case someone cuts themselves on a machine you repaired.

After that, then you can think about becoming a dealer.
    To become a dealer, you need to attend a 4-5 day long school, at the end of which is a written test. If you fail, they won't let you be a dealer. (Until you go to the school again and take the test again.) This is for each manufacturer. When I took the tests (20+ years ago), they were $350-$450 each.

Assuming you pass, Kawi, Honda and Briggs no longer have an engine purchase requirement. Their parts stocking requirement depends on the level of your commitment. (Typically $1000 each.) I'm not sure about Kohler, although their testing is a little more stringent. Tecumseh just got sold to a "private equity group", so I don't know what the new requirements will be.

The only way you will be able to do warranty is by becoming a "listed dealer". It has nothing to do with how much you spend.
    Listed dealer requirements vary by manufacturer, but you need to be above board, have certain tools, have a storefront, put an ad in the yellow pages, and have mechanics that will go to the update seminars every year.

If you think you can "squeak by", you can, but no warranty work will be allowed. Period. They will refuse to pay (legally) because you do not meet their requirements.

If you are in the lawn cutting/maintainence business, get a "trade account". This will allow you a discount on parts and engines, give access to parts and price lookup, and get you access to service bulletins. This is what they give to most "garage mechanics".

Of all the manufacturers, Honda is probably the easiest (no school/test).