SMALL ENGINE WANTED 8-10hp USED

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by clyde, Oct 29, 2006.

1. clyde

clyde LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a parking lot blower for $50 a little wonder.

The engine had a hole in it. I said ok if i have to buy a new engine no biggy. Or if i can get a used one even better.

SO i am looking for any Horizontal Engine that is worth rebuilding. It has an 8hp Briggs Industrial Plus. If anyone has a short block that would be good.
    A new one cost 250.00 at Small Engine Warehouse. If it comes down to it I will buy one but since its now winter and off season time i have the time to rebuild one for cheaper.

SO let me know if you want to get rid of one.

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

if you want cheap then you can do what a lot of gocart racers do when they throw a rod. Get the block welded up and stick a new rod on it and go. I epoxied a thin piece of metal to the side on a rod throwing 6hp tecumseh block that was on a Swisher mower. otherwise the new engine is a good option.

3. clyde

i had thought about that.

4. clyde

you just replace the rod and crank right?

5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

clyde, if your crank is damaged then buy a short block or complete engine. ebay did have several 8 hp briggs on it last week. i would suggest you remove the engine and measure the pto side of the crank and look on ebay. I would bet that the crank is fine. tear it down and look inside and make a parts list. for about $85.00 you can get an after market rebuild kit that includes - gaskets and seals,rod,piston,rings and valves.