1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Small Engine Warehouse

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TandM, Apr 20, 2008.

1. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

Has anyone used small engine warehouse and had good luck with them. I am looking to repower my old snapper hi vac push mower. Tell me both good and bad things and other places to order a replacement engine for it.

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Avoid them like the plague. I bought a 12.5 Kohler command from them a few yrs ago. What I ordered was described as a new engine, what I got was a nearly 20 yr old used motor with a broken governor, duct taped in a fruit box. When I called to complain and return the motor, I was told that the motor was technically new because it had never been used, it had over 1k hrs of use according to the local Kohler dealer I took it to... Anyway, I did get my money back, but it took taking the motor to a certified Kohler mechanic to certify that the motor was, used and broken, and getting the dept of consumer fraud involved to get my money back.

I have had great luck with Tulsa small engines, http://www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com/catalog/briggs/I have ordered 3 motors from them now and gotten exactly what I ordered, at a good price, shipped right from the factory, they provide tracking info and are very helpful, I have also referred my father-in-law and brother-in-law to them and they had great experiences with them too.
  3. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Bought 3 engines an 8 hp briggs, a 14 Vanguard and a 4 hp for a push mower. also a 6hp intec. all were ok, no
    problems. Ed
  4. Loyds Lawn Service

Loyds Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Just got in an 18 hp kaw from small engine wherehouse it was also described as a scratch and dent taken from a craftsman mower and was new. NOT ! It was used you could see where it was cleaned but not well enough. There was oil residue on the dipstick; oil and grass build up on the carb. Will be calling them in the morning.
  5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Good luck, I had to go all the way up to Roy Padgette, (the owner). Take good digital pics, if it is a pull start, pull out and check the rope for wear, and take pics, if it is electric start, look for wear on the starter, mechanisms. You can find out how old the motor is from the serial #. If they give you any grief, go straight to your state's dept of consumer affairs, you can also contact the Indiana Dept of consumer affairs, they are well acquainted with the antics there.
  6. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

i bought which was suppose to be a 15.5hp briggs with electric start and recoil. but when i got the motor it was a 10.5 hp recoil start and was missing the fuel pump parts. I was told that if i wanted to upgrade and pay for everything they would send the other one at my charge even though they knew they screwed up and told me im stuck with it otherwise.

The same day, my bank cancelled the money i sent to them. They called for 2 weeks wanting their money, but i told them give the correct motor first ans they still havent.

I feel they are total crooks!