Small Enginer Warehouse

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Kryoman, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Kryoman

Kryoman LawnSite Member

Just a follow up. I am replacing a 12 hp Briggs with a 13 hp Honda that I bought form Small Engine Warehouse. I read some threads where some of you were not happy with them, but only after I placed my order.

The engine arrived, yesterday in a nice double box, no damage. It appears to be brand new. I'll let you know how it runs.
  2. Kryoman

Kryoman LawnSite Member

My Honda GXV390 is a blessing. I replaced a 12 hp Briggs and Stratton on my Snapper rear engine rider and the Honda was a prefect match. Slightly wider but I was able to squeeze in in. I removed the fuel tank and hooked into the Snapper tanks. The charging system works great, the electric starter works well, and best of all, I ddin't have to adjust anyting on the carburuate. It runs perfectly right out of the box. Very quiet and powerful engine. A great deal at 399 plus shipping.
  3. Partsangel

Partsangel LawnSite Member

Congrats !
    I have always wanted to put a Honda on my Snapper Rear Engine Rider.
    I have also bought a few things from Small Engine Warehouse with no problems at all. There is another place to get great deals on new and take-off motors tho..Its Small Engine Distributors out of Kansas City is there web site link SED
    Its good to have more choices when buying online.

4. Kryoman

Kryoman LawnSite Member

What makes this engine so amazing is that at a noticeabley reduced throttle setting, the mower travels and cuts where the old engine would be just about peaked. In other words, it goes just as fast as it did with the Briggs and Stratton but sounds like the engine is hardly working. The Briggs made a lot of noise and burned more fuel, but produced no additional power. Honda has done a terrific job at perfecting their engine.
  5. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

If pleased for you the Honda is doing all you want of it. In defence of B & S I feel you would have seen a vast improvement if you'd have fitted a new B & S as the old engine was so worn out.
    Job well done,
    atb Phil :)
  6. Kryoman

Kryoman LawnSite Member

No doubt. That B&S is 18 years old and it still ran great. I just wish I could have gotten it to stop burning oil. It consumed oil for the past 3 years and I just grew tired of filling it up and mowing in a cloud of blue smoke. These engines don't have valve guide seals and once the guides get a little sloppy, they burn oil. But they are very reliable, simple machines and seem to last forever if you keep filling them up with fresh oil.
  7. B&A lawn care

B&A lawn care LawnSite Member

I have dealt with Roy Padgett, oops Small Engine Warehouse for years and had nothing but good experiances. Going from a older Briggs to Honda? ya, like going from the stone age to Star Wars. Beside the power your probably mowing on one half the fuel. Briggs has made some progress, they had too or they would have been gone. I have a year old 9HP B&S (forget the model) on a pressure washer and it starts like a Honda and runs like one.
  8. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, the Hondas are quieter, but only becase they put a kick-@$$ muffler on the thing. Just pray you don't have to replace it ($$$$).

I bet if you took the mufflers off of comprable B&S and Honda engines, they would produce about the same level of noise. (Exhaust note only. I think all the gearheads on the board will agree that the GX-series are much tighter than their B&S counterparts.)