Small engines and e85

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slclawn, Apr 29, 2008.

1. slclawn

slclawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

Does any one know if you can run E85 in a Kawasaki and or weed eater engines. Has any one tried this?

2. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

Not recommended.
    Plus it will void the engine warranty...if it's still in the warranty period.

3. BentleyOutdoors

BentleyOutdoors LawnSite Member

Ummmm thats a BIG H@LL NO. E85 is not good at all.

4. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Sure you can run it. Your engine will probably hatch in no time, but why not give it a try and let us know how long it will go. Kinda like getting to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop.

5. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

No, No, No....Did I say No?

6. bretben55

bretben55 LawnSite Member

Everyone is quick to say no on E85. What specifically will happen if you ran it in your mower with a Kohler or Kawasaki engine? It seems there are a lot of myths out there on Ethanol.

I have been mixing a half tank of E85 with a half tank of 87 gas in my 2000 Tahoe with a 5.7L V8. This is not a flex fuel vehicle, but I have had no problems or issues.

Are there any manufacturers or engine design experts that can state with certainty what happens in a small engine when ran on E85. What if it was a mixture of E85 and gas? Then would it be OK?

I am dying to know as I have a Kawasaki engine on my motor. I desperately want to convert to E85 in order to stop my money from going to the terrorist funding Saudis.

7. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

how much is e85 a gallon?

8. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

That was good.....:laugh:

9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Good idea when pretty much everyone in this thread is saying not a good idea.

You really want to replace your engine? E-85 requires modifications or frequent replacement of rubber parts, a change in timing, and modification to the fuel delivery system.

Once you figure cost you would be better off paying the extra for gas. Or modify the engine to run on propane. :hammerhead:

10. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

Alcohol leans out the engine (contains oxygen)
    Alcohol is a degreasing agent (destroys lubrication)
    Alcohol corrodes aluminum & magnesium