small fitting to test compression?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kilabeez0, Dec 31, 2011.

1. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 LawnSite Member

Where can I find a fitting small enough to test compression on small motors? All my attachments are too small.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Most small engine applications are 14mm. Not knowing how your smaller adaptors attach to your compression tester, it's difficult to give any advice. I'd suggest you check with one of the tool distributors like Matco, SnapOn, Mac, etc. They may have something for you, if not, they should be able to point you in the right direction

You may want to check with the manufacturer/seller of your tester.

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Ditto Dutch.
    You may even want to check Napa.
    An easy way to check compression is to pick up the unit by
    The rope , if it hits the ground, you don't have enough compression.

Happy New Year
    Slapper
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. kilabeez0

Well standard 14mm is for regular sized spark plugs in mowers and such. I'm talking like backpack blower plugs. My redmax blower has a tiny plug like my 50 and 70cc Honda motors. I'm not sure what size those are. Any idea? My actron kit from autozone goes down to 10mm so I'm thinking maybe its 8mm?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

8mm if 10mm is too large. Champion DJ8J and NGK CMR6H are smaller but never had occasion to know what size they were as my compression kit covers them all.

6. ArenaLandscaping

ArenaLandscaping LawnSite Member

What compression test kit do you use? I have the same problem with the smaller size fittings.

7. kilabeez0

After much googling ill probably make my own. I read to cut the threads off an old plug, break the electrode off, and either weld/jb weld/ or drill out and tap it. Boom custom fitting
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. BILLSMOWERS

BILLSMOWERS LawnSite Member

Small plugs are 10mm i have a ryobi 4 cycle strimmer that has a champion rdz19h plug which is 10mm this is the smallest plug i have seen and my mitivac compression tester fits it fine so you will need a 14mm to 10mm adaptor to convert your compression tester to fit

happy new year

bill

9. kilabeez0

No I have a 10mm adapter and its too big. My redmax blower has the same size plug as my 50cc Honda motor which I could never find an adapter for
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. BILLSMOWERS

BILLSMOWERS LawnSite Member

what plug has your machine got fitted? as 10mm is the smallest plug i have seen on lawn / garden machinery here in the uk

bill