SMALL FRAME ZERO TURN VS LARGE FRAME

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1st Class Lawns, Feb 12, 2001.

1. 1st Class Lawns

1st Class Lawns LawnSite Member

IM THINKING ABOUT BUYING A SMALL FRAME ZERO TURN RIDER (52" DECK).
    A COUPLE OF YOU HAVE SAID TO GET THE LARGER FRAME BECAUSE OF THE EXTRA WEIGHT (THE LARGER FRAME WILL HOLD TO THE GROUND BETTER AND YOU CAN CUT FASTER).
    THERE IS ONLY ABOUT 100 LBS DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE SMALL AND LARGE FRAME AND ABOUT 5-7 HP DIFFERENCE. IT SEEMS TO ME THE TERRAIN BEING CUT WILL DICTATE THE CUTTING SPEED.
    MAYBE IM MISSING SOMETHING BUT I DONT THINK THE DIFFERENCE IN MONEY FOR THE LARGER FRAME IS WORTH IT
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR FEELINGS ON THIS.
    THANKS
    JAMES
    1ST CLASS LAWN SERVICE

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I like the hp look as I like to work with
    the smallest equipment that will do the job
    right.Right now I think there are deck size

limitations on these mowers though.
    By HP I mean the exmark small frame but most
    that I looked at offered there on version.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have a60" dixie,and I had a 50".The 50" narrow track width made it almost impossible to hold hill,the 60 can hold side hills without trouble.That is the only reason i can think of to get the wider mower.I couldnt use the 50 on a couple of spots,i had to trim it by hand or use the 60.

4. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

Like John said,
    The smaller Z's won't hold a hill as well as the larger ones will.
    If I have a steeper hill to mow I use my larger Z all the time it doesn't feel as tippy and doesn't slide as easy.
    Mainly because the wheels are spaced out further it's not as tippy
    If you have mostly flat places to mow thou it 's a toss up.

Dan

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

James, don't forget to factor in the increase in production that the 60" will give you when you think about the cost difference between the two, not only on more difficult terrain but also smoother terrain. Like you said, the terrain will dictate the speed of cut. So you should be able to cut those hills or whatever terrain a little quicker. If you have enough areas where you can increase production and quality of cut( I believe a 60" would tend to scalp less) you may be able to make up the cost difference faster than you think. Just something to think about.

Randy

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

The ride should be better on the wider track mower too. As for agility, you will be surprised where the 60" can go. My 72" gets used daily and I hesitated to put it in residential lawns when I first got it. If it fits it comes off the trailer, but then again I have smaller ones if it doesn't.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I think the width of the exmark HP and Lazers are around the same. The hp's just have a shorter wheel base.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The Lazer Z HP is around 8 inches narrower than the full size Lazer Z.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The width of the 2 mowers from wheel to wheel is not 8". It is not a narrower track. The deck from a 52" to 60" is, but not the width of the unit. Thus, the hp and the regular lazers will hold a hill about the same. If anything, the difference could only be within 1".

10. 1st Class Lawns

1st Class Lawns LawnSite Member

THANKS FOR EVERYONES INPUT
    JAMES
    1ST CLASS LAWN SERVICE