Small growths on date palm?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnguy26, Mar 25, 2006.

1. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I saw a Canary Island Date Palm today that had these small growths all over the frawns. If you rubbed your finger across them they just kind off turned into a sawdust like substance. The were attached very well to the leaves. Anybody heard or seen this?

2. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I have seen it, they are raised right, black and tan with a white string coming out kind of? I think this one is a Dac though, it is still relatively short. I thought it was Graphiola False Smut, but is not it apparently because it does come off. My teacher at school thought birds nest fungi. It is on both sides of the lower fronds. It doesn't seem to be hurting this palm.

3. lawnguy26

from Florida

It's not false smut. These were tan in color.

4. Landscape25

from Florida

These are mostly tan too, you can scrape them off. I am not sure if they turned into something sawdust like though. False Smut was my deduction from the internet, the picture of False Smut in Betrock's palm book does not look like this. I think False Smut is more spot like. I guess I thought that it might be False Smut because it said it grows on the upper and lower leaf surface. Where are you in FL? I am in Palm Beach County.

5. lawnguy26

from Florida

I don't think they turned into sawdust, I think that there was just so many after I scraped a leaf, what was in my hand looked like sawdust. Sounds like we're talking about the same stuff. I'm assuming it's not harmful to the plant because I can't find any info. on it. I'm in Central Florida.

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like a scale insect

7. Landscape25

from Florida

I think it is a fungus but not harmful. This one has had it for a while.

8. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

9. Landscape25

from Florida

That's not what this one has, it looks much different. The leaves are not really damaged by it.

10. lawnguy26

from Florida