Small hole in 2 cycle gas tank

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by z_clark, Sep 2, 2004.

1. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

Have a very small hole in my stick edger's gas tank. Tried fixing it w/ "Goop" I got from Home Depot, but the gas acts like a thinner, and it wears off.

How do I fix this? Thank you!
  2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a new gas tank from your dealer.
  3. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Let tank dry out, then use soldering gun to fuse plastic together.
    z_clark likes this.
  4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

We do this in our shop and it works quit well. You can even use a bit of trimmer line as a filler is needed. Good luck.
    z_clark likes this.
  5. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help! I will try this out as soon as I have a day to let that tank dry out....this weekend. Good tip about using the trimmer line as filler too....may need a bit. Thank y'all!
  6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

This is one reason I love this site. It's little tidbits of info like this that can save you lots of time and expense. Good tip Riches139.
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

z clark, You also may want to try a product called "Quicksteel" It works excellent, and is very strong..And way easier to work with than JB weld..
  8. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

I take it you guys are talking about one of the butane soldering guns, and not an iron, since it almost seems that an iron would only cause a larger hole, whereas a gun would almost allow you to be able to take a little plastic patch and place it over the hole, and then just melt it together.
  9. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

butane!!!! NO,NO,NO.
    No open flame unless you want get blown up. Use a ELECTRIC iron. Below is the one I use at work. 120 VAC , 40 Watts with a 1/4" flat tip. A 25 watt will melt plastic. A flat tip works best.

10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

NO butane (flame). . .the gas vapors left in an empty fuel tank are often more combustible than the fuel itself!