small hydroseeder (spot seeder)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by airborne1, May 8, 2003.

1. airborne1

airborne1 LawnSite Member

Does anyone know if there is someone that makes a small hydroseeder like 50-100 gallons?

I am thinking about making one myself.

2. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Yes, Turbo Turf has them in the 50-1500 gallon size. Check them out at www.turboturf.com

3. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

I was at the turbo turf factory, very nice people that seem to really know what they are doing. I like mechanical agitation myself, but they do make a nice small unit, it would be worth looking at it.

4. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

We have a Turbo Turf 500 E. We like it alright. nothing like a Finn.
    I believe a small jet machine would be a good for for small spot seeding. If you get a turbo turf make sure you run as heavy a mulch as you can. That is our main problem with the machine.

5. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

What do you mean by heavy mulch? some friends of mine just bought one and I would like to tell them what they should use. What kind of problems do you have?

6. green with envy

We get about 500 sq.ft. per 500 gal. We can push up to 140 pounds of mulch per tank. If we run longer than 100ft. of hose "like we have to with most jobs" we have pressure problems.
    With that we are putting down approx. 1200 lb per acre.

I would like to squeeze another 300 pounds per acre.

It's hard to put it down thicker when the slurry is thin it tends to splash away what you have already sprayed.

7. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

do you use regular bales of mulch or do you get the mulch in a bag that kind of looks like penn mulch? I see that they sell it, I was thinking that it would load much quicker than the regular bales. I've never used one of them, I use a Finn and I love it, but I'd like to help out my friend if I can.

8. green with envy

We tried the Jet spray in bags. the slurry was kind of thin.
    We now use paper mulch that is "loose packed"
    We have a local distributor in Michigan. Rhino seed, that sells it in 20 pound bales. Also we tried the Applegate mulch in 33 pound bales, That was pretty good too. We were able to dump the 20 pound bales much faster.

9. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone know of a small machine you can drop a bale of peat in, to blow on a dry top dressing for lawn renovation work?