1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Small implements at Home Depot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by igm, Mar 13, 2001.

1. igm

igm LawnSite Member

Has anyone used the small implements available at Home Depot. For example the little disc harrow and subsoiler.
    Looking at cheap alternatives for prepping turf areas for renovation/seeding. For example, places where fescue has faded out and now soil is compacted and rough. Aeration alone not enough prep for overseeding, so need small tool to
    scratch/pulverize the top couple of inches withought tearing up tree roots and stuff, so I can at least a little seedbed and get some seed going. Large residential property, too big to do with walk behind tiller,etc.
    so looking for something to tow behind mower. Don't want to bring in bigger machine and completely redo the area.

Thanks, Sam
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

For smaller areas the spiker aerators may work if you go over the areas in question from two different directions. When you figure in labor costs and such, I dont know if the price of the attachment would off-set the cost of using a tow-behind tiller.

For these sort of projects I have a friend with a JD(w/ tow-behind tiller) and I just sub him out for loosening up the ground. Then we go back thru screed the area and seed/fert/lime/topdress it.

Hope this helps.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Try twisting spikes 1/2 turn.These are not made
    for commercial use so be ready to by another if you use a lot of wt.
  4. LScom Addict

LScom Addict LawnSite Member

Consider renting a york type rake from the rental stores in your area and drag it across the lawn to scartch up the surface before seeding.