Small install............pics

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tthomass, Aug 6, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

If you saw my paver install in the hardscape forum here's the planting:

(1) Crape Myrtle
    (6) Dwarf Fountain Grass
    (3) Russian Sage
    (3) Sedum 'Autumn Joy'
    (6) Pieris Japonica 'Mountain Fire'
    (3) Nandina 'Heavenly Bamboo'

......simple enough, now i'm selling them on a install compliment the other side of hte walk vs just grass. Really like to put a nice Jap Maple at the steps or a Crape Myrtle + another between the two

DSC01744.JPG

2. tthomass

from N. VA

perennials along the walk in a tight spot

DSC01745.JPG

3. tthomass

from N. VA

for those less familar with plants, oportunity to learn:

'Dwarf' Fountain Grass

DSC01750.JPG

4. tthomass

from N. VA

Sedum 'Autumn Joy'

can get different colors, the flower will soon turn pink and you leave the skeleton through the winter, it has a nice amber color to it.........something to look at vs nothing

DSC01751.JPG

5. tthomass

from N. VA

Russian Sage

you can use Lavander as well, much a like............gives a nice "haze" of purple color, more natural or wild looking and has a nice smell

DSC01752.JPG

6. tthomass

from N. VA

Pieris Japonica 'Mountain Fire'

one of my favorite plants...........new growth is bright red and turns green as it matures, spring it flowers in white with what looks like a bunch of grapes

DSC01753.JPG

7. tthomass

from N. VA

Nandina 'Heavenly Bambo'

grows taller that other Nandina (such as 'Fire Power"), nice red foliage and in the winter displays large bundles of red berries...........looks like a bunch of grapes

DSC01754.JPG

8. tthomass

from N. VA

Crape Myrtle

just starting to bloom and prob a plant we're all familar with to some extent.........different colors from red, purple, white, pink...........blooms in summer (now)........nice showy bark in the winter 'Nanchez*' especially which is white Crape Myrtle

DSC01755.JPG

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Nice landscaping. I use many of those same plants quite a bit in my work. Love Sedum spec but we treat it as an annual here because it sometimes won't make it through winter. Provoskia, Russian sage is one if my favorite plants to plant because of it's airy habit and color. They are treated as a biennial up here as well only lasting 3 years before replacement is necessary.
    I love that you are useing grasses in your landscapes! It always makes me happy to see landscapers that are not cookie-cutting. it shows me you have a special gift. That is the gift of an artfull eye.
    You are brave enough to plant stuff that may not give immediate color but will pay off with color in years to come.
    (meaning that other install posted here)
    You are not planting what you see everybody else planting cuz it's "safe".
    You are not planting just because
    "it's what works in my area"
    I respect that planting attitude and encourage it. This makes your work stand out from others, you will profit from it greatly and get a good deal of satisfaction when going back and viewing your gardens later on. You look like your good at remembering to get pics before and after.
    I was very bad at this and still am , though having a digital camera helps. I can't take it out in this heat and I tend to flat forget about it.
    Thank so much for sharing..we need to see more of this on lawnsite.

Oh one small suggestion, clear the mulch away from the base of all your plants and trees at least 3" or 4"
    leaving it up against will cause problems with crown rot and bugs living at the base of the plants.

10. tthomass

from N. VA

Thanks for the good words there!

I put the mulch about 2" thick.........at the base of plants I do it no more than 1"

I like grasses and mixing up stuff.............what would annoy me is to be like a lot of "landscapers" I see. Example being driving down the road and being able to pick out the houses that "landscaper" has done because they all look the same.

My sisters house has a major problem with deer......I tried some coneflowers and lillies and yeah they ate them up.........I want to do a border of nothing but grasses for the most part.........I think it would really look cool, different sizes, shapes, colors, textures.........all that stuff you take in to draw a real design. Now granted I'd have to prune them all back but hey, if you don't want to do "landscaping" then go to Lowe's and buy a bunch of Junipers ya know?

I agree...............people post up your stuff! Small or big you can learn a lot from others, I did.