Small job, need a little help w/bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gr grass n Hi tides, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a call from a real estate agency asking for a spring clean up on a small property going up for sale next week. I have not put in my bid yet, but I was thinking:

Pick up small tree limbs/twigs (just had a 60 mph NE gale) )
    1,500 sq.ft of raking (pine needles) ) $50
    Prune 4 small shrubs )

6,000 sq. ft mow )
    Edge ) $30
    Trim )

Pick up (not delivered) and place 2 yards of mulch ) $120

The property is just three miles from me & the mulch supplier is on the way. No real obstacles to mow around so I'll use my 48 wb hydro. How's my pricing?

2. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

looks good to me ! good luck

3. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

You might want to do a search on doing work for real estate agents. Personally if it was me I would bid it high and ask for some of the money up front, been burned one too many times working for these people. In fact if I get any calls from an agent I automatically tell them I am booked up. How does the old saying go " fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." Good luck.

4. Gr grass n Hi tides

Thanks for the feedback. I'll call back tomorrow with my bid & he also knows I'll do weekly cuts until the property sells (if the owner wants it). I've got a couple of guys in real estate that are set to turn me on to some other similar accounts, plus refer me to the new homeowners which I think will be an outstanding way of getting business.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I am with wmsland. Make sure you get a good deposit up front. Get the full name of who you are dealing with, and their position there. :cool:

6. Gr grass n Hi tides

wmland & paponte -

You guys are right about approaching it carefully. I've seen this topic talked about on here alot. I turned down the first real estate Co. I talked to because he wanted me to "cover an area with 2 hour drive radius......some jobs might be as small as weedeating around a swimming pool." No thanks. I did not get into this to have someone else calling the shots.

The second group of guys though, the ones that want this small spring clean up done, I know the branch manager and one of the sales guys. They told me I'd be paid two weeks after completing work. Plus, they are turning me on to a local builder/property manager that needs the front to a development maintained.

On the surface, it doesn't seem like a bad situation. When I bid this job, on your suggestion paponte, I think I will ask for a 50% deposit up front. Appropriate?

You guys have any other thoughts on this?

7. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Your bid seems about right. I would mow it for $35 and mulch it for $100. The cleanup would run $50/hour. If they want a definite number then I attempt to estimate how long it will take me then multiply number of hours x $75. Also this is a good chance to cross sell fert and weed control. A great looking lawn can really help sell a home.

8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I would price in the range that Barkleymut suggests...if your market will bear it...your numbers arent that far off (again, it depends on your market)

9. Gr grass n Hi tides

Barkleymut & GarPA -

I appreciate your .02. I did actually mention seeding and fert to the sales guy when he called me about the job! He said, "man I might have to get you come to my house." When I go to him with the bid I'll also give him a separate price for fert apps & seeding.

You are right, I really think this could be an opportunity to get off on the right foot with these guys by making the property attractive and easier to sell. Heck, if everything were perfect all of the potential buyers he takes to the property would ask "gee who does the lawn maintenance" - instant word of mouth referral. Plus, I thought I could do door hangers in the neighborhood.

Thanks guys !

10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I've always been a little uneasy doing work for realtors. They have a reputation of being slow to pay, cheap and not very loyal. HOWEVER....last year I hooked up with one who has, himself, a number of rental properties. I got those for landscaping and maint. as well as his business. He's been a great customer.
    I still however would be careful in dealing with realtors...their reputation is not a myth...they've earned it in many cases.