small jobs strategy

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

You know those people who want just one tree illuminated in the middle of their front yard? They can be ignored or disregarded as not pre-qualified, pita, against our business model, or bad for our portfolio's, or simply a waste of our time and resources.

But, are recent technologies making it easier to do these? I have a lawn customer who wants a palm illuminated as a focal point in his small front yard. I blew it off at first by telling him what my projects usually start at, but now I am thinking I should go back and give him a barebones budget and treat the job like a service call.

With LED's, a very small trans is all I need, and it doesn't have to be multi-tap. Intermatic makes the perfect size for this, I bought one from FOLD to mess around with, but I would rather use something with a better reputation if available, and an even lower wattage. That being said, the intermatic was stainless steel, and quite solid.

These jobs could use 14 or 16 gauge, and a small & simple trans. Even the smaller transformers could power lots of add-ons if the client wishes to build on the system as they get the "lighting bug."

Any recommendations for transformers for this kind of application?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Never turn it down when you make post about being bored. Even when you are busy never have your nose to high as not to do the small jobs. There is work out there to be had. Do whatever it takes to do it. Mike go and chase the paper.

3. Mayor_tx

Mayor_tx LawnSite Member
    from Austin

4. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

5. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member

I have used "ACME's" 300 W pool & spa transformers. For the price they are pretty dang good. They are small, have a 12, 13, 14, Flying leads, and these transformers don't loose their power when loaded. I get them from Terradek. This is probably still too big for your job.
    ~Ned

6. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

The Focus spec indicates 10 watt minimum, so that would be a minimum of 3 4.5 watt LED's. Cracks me up that it comes with 10' of #18 for leads.

Joey, that's cool. Got any spec's?

7. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I remember some rep telling me a long time ago that I should have a 10 light minimum. Even as a rookie I blew that off as garbage. I will do any job from one light to 1000+, the smaller jobs just cost a bit more per fixture to cover my expenses. You are dead on with this thought Mike. If you charge, say, $75/hr for service calls, then why not charge a couple hundred bucks for the one light and be in and out of there is less than an hour. I think of it like this: If I'm in the area, it's a couple hundred more than I would have had if I turned down the job. At least it pays for a nice dinner for me and the hooker that night!:blob2:

8. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I like how you think. Chris. We have somthings in common after all.

9. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

You mean you like a nice dinner too sleepy? :)

10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Exactly! Whats the diff between going out and adding a few lights for a client vs doing a small job. If you can price it correctly for profit or hit it on your way to or from an area why not.

I am doing a 6 light system on monday that will take about 4 hours. All tree lights. Sure its for an existing client but it is requiring a new trans to be installed in a different area. I would still do the job for a new client.