Small landscape bed at the city park

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Supertiger, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Supertiger

Supertiger LawnSite Member

Just wanted to share some pictures of a recently completed planting bed at the city park. This bed was intended to be almost maintenance free I hope. Used Red gravel for mulch to stop any erosion from there being no gutters.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

good job as long as those are dwf. mops cypress and not the bigger cousin. I typically don't like red mulch in any situation but this works. good job. and nice job with the wall too.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I like the red-rock.

You did a great job on the color selection, and I love how the curves on your wall looks perfect too.

Some of your taller shrubs in the back might be a little close to the shelter, but it shouldn't be that big a deal.

4. Supertiger

Thanks guys, as far as the Mops go I'm not sure, The name of the plant said golden mop false Cyprus so i hope it is a dwarf but if its not ill try to keep it trimmed, i just couldn't resist the color contrast with the red rock. i want them to get some size since those Alta Magnolias will stay small for a long time. The red gravel get better looking after its been washed by the rain in the photos i just spread it out and its covered in dust.

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

you should be good they're the smaller one, just remember not to trim them too much, cypress don't care for it.

6. White Gardens

A lot of the time, I'm impatient to wait for the rocks to naturally wash off, so I'll take the hose to it when I'm done.

I'm also considering cleaning my landscape rock before install too. Just to make sure there is no dust in it. I've heard some tales of plants dieing due the the PH change from rock dust, but I've yet to see it myself.

7. Supertiger

which way do you think the rock dust would change the PH of the soil? up or down. i used a lot of crushed limestone for the footings of the walls and i think that is used in fields to raise the PH to more alkaline. but i don't know how red gravel would affect it .

8. White Gardens

Yes it would make it more alkaline, but the only situation I've truly seen is with white rock, or gravel with lime in it, so I don't know if red-landscaping rock would have the same affect.

I'd like to know what kind of specific rock that is (not the trade name), we have a supplier around here who carries something similar to what you used.

9. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, that looks really nice. Will they let you put up a sign for advertisement there?

10. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I think it looks good. Isn't that Jason Scrugg's stomping grounds in that area? We race against him. Some good guys from that area.