1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

small landscape jobs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by boonehockey, Oct 19, 2007.

1. boonehockey

boonehockey LawnSite Member

how profitble would it be to do trimming mulching weeding planting but not mowing. i have a ford explorer and could get a 5 by 8 trailer if needed.
  2. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

That is what I do along with design and bigger installs. It has taken a few years but things are picking up. You are looking at a market that can afford a lawn person and a person to maintain the beds in most cases or they have an HOA that takes care of it and they are not happy with the job. It will take a lot longer per property than mowing would, therefore you have to charge a lot more. I also fertilize most of the properties I maintain. My lowest accounts are $60.00 every 4 weeks with fertilizer 4 times a year. You could do well but you probably won't be able to do that many properties in a day unless they are very small. You will probably make more money on the smaller ones too.
  3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

it can be very profitable for you, you will have much lower overhead than me and still be able to charge $40/hr per man, at least arount here. it will be tough to get clients only doing these things because most of this type of work comes from regular mowing customers asking. my advice is to call as many Landscape companies and ask if they are booked up for this type of work and ask if they will give out your number. we are booked as are many LCO's around here and its always nice to have a number to give out
  4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

That might be a good idea for the weekend with school or a full time job where it would be hard to run more than 10 mowing accounts.
  5. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

Get with some LCOs that dont like to or dont have the time to provide this service
    I draw a very short list of stuff I do outside of mowing
    installing a plant or two and some small flower beds are about all I do
    I refer all my landscape stuff to a friend that doesnt do mowing and he in return refers all his mowing stuff to me
    I also refer all my chemical stuff to another guy that thats all he does
    Yes I may miss out on some $$$ but I had rather do one thing well than three or four things half baked
  6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Your not missing out on some $$$$ your missing out on a lot of $$$. Mowing is the least profitable part of this business. If you want to get ahead in this business you need to be doing more than just mowing. If your happy with just mowing thats great but landscaping can bring in around 75% of a company's income. Just think about all the overhead with mowing.
  7. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

I know Im missing out but at this stage(1st year full time) I decided this year I would concentrate on the mowing side
    My plan is to take some courses down at the botanical gardens this winter to help me with the landscaping side
    Right now I just dont feel I have the knowledge / experience to do large projects
    (I was shoved into the deep end of the pool about a year too early so Ive been staying above water)
  8. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

I started out doing landscape jobs mainly with a few mows. The landscape has picked up but there are times when you have 5 jobs on the board all ready to sign a contract, then boom several of them decide not to sign for one reason or another.

I also know that 2nd have of december, January, Febuary are going to be dead. 1st of March too.

Cash flow. Mowing may not be as profitable but it is cash flow. If you do it right. We are going after small commercial where you spread the total yearly cost out over 12 months on a contract. I even have one residential customer who lives on 1.5 acres to sign up for this. I presented it to her as our "premium service" option.

When I first started learning and reading about mowing of this forum, I always resisted the notion that you can get people to sign a contract. It seemed the mow, blow and go was becoming the norm and that may be true. So you have to do both. However you should at least have the option ready and don't be affaid to offer it. Not to mention the small commercial. Bid bid bid and bid.