1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Small Landscape Project

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Smithers, May 30, 2005.

1. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

Here is a project my wife and i did recently. dont have a "before" pic (erased them by accident :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: ), but it had a lot of overgrown, low grown evergreens, roses, and marble stones/chips....i hated taking the chips out.

most of the work was in labor.

not big deal, but i really like how it turned out. did it in between cutting grass, the vegetable garden (different thread) and a full time job.

2. Smithers

a different angle

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Looks really great.. xept the Arbivorte too close to the house in the corner by the porch in front of the window.I try not to plant in front of windows or that close to the corners.GREAT WORK THOUGH!!Looks good!What's with the dead lawn edge??
  4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

not too bad. I agree that the arb should not have been placed in front of the window, but maybe inbetween. The bed edge is not too well defined either. Overall, for a first time install, I'd give it a B-. The more you do, the more you get to know plant types and perennial types.
  5. Smithers

thanks...i forgot to mention..the edge is not finished yet. i will "trench it" with the Brown Bed edger. i just followed the old design and that's what it was before.

Once i rent the landscape edger, it will look perfect. thanks for the high mark.
  6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

all edges should be trenched BEFORE mulch is installed. now you have to move the mulch back, stc......
  7. Smithers

yeah, i think you are right...but i dont know when i will get my hands on the edger. it's no big deal to pull the mulch back a few inches with a green garden rake.
  8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Edging that is short work with hand tools. A half moon edger or straight edge spade will do the trick.
  9. Smithers

would that work??? better than renting the bed edger? well, at least it would be cheaper, that's for sure.
  10. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

You could use a stick edger and a pick and have a nice edge around that area in bout 30 min. Same look as a bed edger........ :D