small landscapers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by James Cormier, Jan 30, 2004.

1. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Hey was just reading some stories from insurance mags about the % of small landscape companies that have Insurance, workers comp or even claim there income.

Anyone care to guess?
  2. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

mmmmm....... about 33%??
  3. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

just a guess 25%
  4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say more like 10% or less.
  5. Mowmoney00

Mowmoney00 LawnSite Member

I'll meet you guys in the middle and say 17%
  6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I wouldnt be surprised if it was on up around 40% or higher.
  7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not many. I'm one of the few who do.
  8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I;d guess about a 2/3 dont have ins
  9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not going to take an insurance guy's word on anything! Whatever the article says, I'm sure it supports the guy's reason that someone should be buying something from him.
  10. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

well its a industry mag, just like this site is for our industry, the point behind this is why do some guy' s wonder why landscape companies are not view in the public eye as a legit business?

Right now nation wide the estimate is 36% of all landscape companies dont have insurance, workers comp or even claim the money they make.

If this is true its pretty sad,

I was at lesco this spring and a kid at the counter asked me what I charge for fertin, I said do you have a licence & Insurance? He said no he's only doing this part time right now. So I gave him my normal speach how he's hurting the lawn care business. He just said too bad,and turned to the lesco guy and bought a pallet of fert & dimension, After the lesco guy loaded him and came to help me, I said I cant believe you just did that, He told you he doesnt have a licence or insurance and you still sold him the product!

I was pissed, the lesco guy say's it not my job to make sure everyone has a licence.

What He didnt relieze was he's just as much to blame for the way the public views our business,

Ive been pulled over several times by the pesticide board to check my licence, and I always ask why not sit across the street from lesco and pull over people coming out? I sure lesco wouldnt like that