1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Small lawn Big tractor!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rross, Oct 16, 2002.

1. rross

rross LawnSite Member

I have been doing mostly commercial lawns, and next season I would like to pick up some residencial. Now I use currently a zth 60" 25 HP. So, Its hard to use this in a yard. Does any one have a cheap way I can get this done?? Well atleast a cheaper way, then buying like five mowers... I have thought maybe buying a small walk behind, like 36" and perhaps a pushmower. Remember, I have a smaller budget!! thanks guys, ANY info can help:alien:

2. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

How small of a residential lawn are we talking about? I've got some 8-10k size lawns that I would have no problem putting a 60" z on (except for the hills). Also are there gates or is it open? To save some $$ you can look into some quality used equip in good shape. I've been known to pick up walk behinds for under a thousand in excellent shape. Look around a bit. ;)

3. rross

rross LawnSite Member

near 10,000 with a house and couple trees usually, I think I might just slap a mulching kit under the thing and buy a push mower, and have at it!! any more suggestions

4. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds like a pretty good plan to me. Get in and out and make a good buck. Price it like you were going to cut it all with a 21" though, and let the people know up front you'll be using the z. This way there won't be any surprises for both of you.