1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

small lawn high volume with Snapper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tdf, Dec 3, 2005.

1. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

I am considering Snapper because I like the self propel design. I am wondering if the disc will slip if it gets wet( while continuing to mow in a slight drizzle. It seems like it would being it is rubber on steele.

Thanks, T
  2. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

I used a snapper self propel this year, heck I kinda like it, but it does make some whacky noises. I have used it in the wet grass and rain with no problem. For the money it aint bad.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

The one we used to have didn't, that was awhile ago though, so they could have only improved the design if they changed it at all, so i wouldn't think it would slip!
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

The rubber wont slip in rain. Dont know why not, but I have used one in pouring rain and it stays locked solid.
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It's the compound of the rubber and the spring tension that makes it drive well, Their rear engine rider and YT & LT tractors have the same drive system only larger disc. It's a well thought out drive system if you like Snappers.
  6. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

What is the ground speed like? Is it pretty fast like the Toro?
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Snappers are good machines. I know a LCO here that has, who knows how many of them! It's primarely all they use, crew of 3 or 4 guys per lawn all running 21" snappers.

The only thing I don't care for about them is the chute going to the bag is pretty small and can plug up if it's wet or mowing a lot at once.

The bestest snappers ever were the ones with the wisconsion-robin engines on them, they would run forever!

all in all they are easy to fix, just keep some spare parts on hand and splurge for a commercial model with the metal ball bering wheels. Speed wise, it's been a long while since I was behind one... But they have 6 speeds, basically infinate, and I don't remember using 6th ever really.... Kinda like 3rd gear on a proline, just about a jog!
  8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

there is both good and bad in the snapper desighn. it will slip in the rain. i have used snappers for 16 years. there is nothing about them i dont know. the good is there is no better leaf mulcher period! and they are easy to fix. the bad -the self propel is EXTEMLY trouble prone. everthing breaks and very often. dont get one unless you need strong bagging and surpurb mulching. for grass cutting there are lots better mowers. the robin engines are the longest lasting in the industry. the lower belt is non adjustable! this is the biggest flaw in the desighn. take a look at the self propel desighn.it looks like it was desighned by the makers of the mouse trap game. in short if reliability is what you want -look elsewere
  9. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

I ave a commercial snapper it runs fine in the rain ,mulches great, bags great grass or leave's,and the ground speed is right up there with toro.I would recomened.
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

When I started mowing for money many years ago, I started with a Snapper Commercial that I bought as a homeowner. I bought it 20 yeas (?) ago, used it for several years, then used it as my main mower the first year, as a hand mower to accompany a w/b the next couple of years. I liked it, but would have to agree the drive system has its positives and negatives. It is the simplest speed changing system and easily offers the widest variety of speeds (unlike theToro Proline!). And, I learned to change out the hex shaft and end bearing with some regularity. I never knew the drive wheel to slip in wet conditions.

I did encounter trouble with grass clippings working their way through the slot in the deck and packing around the pulley beneath the drive disk. The packing was often uneven, that is it made the drive surface "lumpy." Do any of you with newer models have this problem?

I did have some bagging problems with the chute clogging, until I mounted small wings on the trailing edges of the blade. That helped the bagging capability significantly. Initially,t he slider on the bag looks cumbersome, but with a little practice, the system works very well. The bag is large and empties easily.

For mulching, the Ninja blades work very well to mulch leaves. I did no grass mulching with it, only leaves.

And, after a couple of B&S engines, I mounted a Robin engine. It purrs like a kitten and has good power. The major problem with this setup is the steel deck, coupled with a 35# (?) engine, makes the mower very heavy.

I still have the mower in the shed, but it needs some repair work on the belt tensioner for the flat 4-V belt. I'm considering making those repairs this Winter to rehab it for Spring use during heavy mowing. The Robin engine has lots of life left.