Small lighting job need help!

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by loupiscopolandscaping, Feb 7, 2008.

1. loupiscopolandscaping

loupiscopolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

ok i never messed with landscape lighting. Im looking to expand into this field. I went on an estimate early today for a landscape design job. The job is small. The client wants me to upgrade her existing lighting system. The system works and all the lights, wires and etc. are installed. The client wants me to remove the 20 existing walkway lights and install a new set. Since everything is fully functional, i want to remove the existing lights and install 20 1 tier malibu walkway lights. The new lights i found for $75.00 and im figuring this should take me no longer than 3 hrs to do. My guess based on time, material and it is "extra" work i should charge her $300.00. Does that sound right???

2. loupiscopolandscaping

by the way, im going to tape the new lights into the existing wire.

3. loupiscopolandscaping

Tap into* the exisiting wire

4. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello It all depends on what kind of load the lights take. The bulbs could pull more of a load and not be as bright. Is Malibu the manufactuer of the lights?

5. loupiscopolandscaping

Yes Malibu is the company of the lights id like to install i have the specs......... each set has 10 1 tier lights so i have to purchase 2 sets.....10 plastic tier lights, 44 watt transformer, 50ft of low voltage 18 guage cable....

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Im willing to bet you didnt know you must be licensed in Jersey to lighting. From what I understand inspectors are handing out fines all over the place. Call a reputable lighting contractor and PLEASE let them handle it. Its not worth the couple hundred your talking about making. There will also be a world of difference in materials and workmanship.

Dont give low voltage a bad name or tarnish your name with your client by installing inferior products. Sub it out and ask the contractor about any refferal incentives.

7. WALKER LANDSCAPE

You should be ok if then Your question is PRICE so (Material X 3). You can make good profit in this feild if you can get into some classes you can learn alot more. There is all kinds of unique ways (Uplighting, shadowing, siloutte, back and down lighting. Good luck.

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

NO! he should not be "ok" New Jersey requires a license to install landscape lighting. He is clearly not licensed for this. The fine will by far eat his profits several times over.

9. WALKER LANDSCAPE

PRO
    He is going to do whatever he wants I just dont say it like some of the guys on here. "YOU NEED TO BE THIS OR lICENSED FOR THAT" I am all for everyone being qualified to do their services. This keeps the rate up.

10. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Listen to Billy here in regards to the NJ licensing thing......

It sounds like you are going to create what we call an "airport runway" with placing that many lights down a walkway. It also sounds like you will have some really big Voltage Drop issues. Consult with a pro before just cutting and splicing in new lights, your homeowner may turn out to be upset with how everything looks.