Small Lincoln Welder

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by mckell68, May 21, 2003.

1. mckell68

mckell68 LawnSite Member

Hello,

I am interested in learning how to weld so I can fabricate some racks on my mower trailer. Thats really all I need it for. I was thinking about a small stick Lincoln welder that home depot sells. It sells for $199 and is about the size of a large shoebox. No dials on it for amperage, just toggles for hi/low settings.

Am I wasting my money on this small unit or is ok for what I need it for? Any input would be helpful----Mike

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I'd go for a MIG, its a much better finish and IMO, a hell of a lot easier to use.

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

4. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

go for a wire gun--299.99 for a lincoln weld-pak 100

runs on 120volt and i have run mine on a 100' extensioin cord!
    really like not having to stop welding to get another stick

5. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

Thats all you think you will need it for. Its one of things that once you get, you will wonder how you ever did without one. I prefer the stick, I think it gives better welds, but it is harder to use. I got a friend to spend some time showing me how to use it, a little practice, and it looks decent. I really think its better to get a product with the goal that you will use it more, because you probably will. Get a middle of the road unit, spend a little more now so you wont kick yourself later.

Bryan

6. Seon

Seon LawnSite Member

I have a Lincoln stick for the thicker gage steel and a Hobart mig for the thinner work. I did alot of research before buying the mig. Here's a site that may help you in deciding which to buy. Good luck.

Welding forum

7. reelgrass92

reelgrass92 LawnSite Member

I bought a cheap crapsmen welder (flux-cored), I believe it is an 80 amp. But I sort of made me some trimmer racks but they just didn't hold. I thought I had pretty good welds. I was wrong. Luckily I didn't loose any of my trimmers.

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've got the small Lincoln wire feed welder. It costs about $329 at Home Depot. It comes with eveything you need. Even a video tape to help you get started. I wish that 'd bought it year ago.