SMALL LOADER/3 PT. HITCH

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Nov 2, 2000.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

LOOKING TO BUY BY THE END OF 2000 A GOOD USED LOADER WITH TURF TIRES, 3PT HITCH FOR MY AERATOR,FORKS TO LIFT A TON AND HALF,BUCKET HIGH ENOUGH TO DUMP MULCH IN MY P/U WITH 3.5 FT. SIDES ON THE BED. I HAVE ABOUT $7000 OR SO.
    WHAT IS A GOOD BUY,JOHN DEERE,KOBODA ECT...
    WHAT TYPE OF HOURS IS LOW FOR A UNIT THAT IS A FEW YR. OLD?
    THANKS ANTHONY

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

You sure you need to lift a ton and a 1/2? In order to get a loader that can lift that much weight-4ft out in front of the bucket-you going to need a big one!I lifted a 4000lb pallet of 8"blocks with a Case 580K 4x4-it barely lifted them-and that machine is about 8 tons and costs about 22k used with 3K hrs on it.For everything else you want to do a small 25-35hp compact will do fine.I'd get a 4x4,they are much better,especially for loader work.I have a Ford,ao Im partial to it,expect to pay a lot of money-if you want one 5yrs old or newer-you'll find youre better off buying new with the high prices.I think 10K will buy you a nice 30hp,1/4 yd 5ft bucket,and a 3ph.You should be able to get one with 700-2000 hrs on it,depending on condition and size.Now to lift that pallet-you can put the forks on the 3point hitch,and then make sure you buy a New holland-they have the strongest 3 ph lift capacitys by far.A 1920 33hp can lift over 3500 lbs at the 3 ph,so if your load is 4 ft off that,itll still lfit 1/2 that before it starts to wheelie -you can always put a scoop of stone in the loader bucket before you move pallets.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm a John Deere fan but when it comes to compact utility tractors, Kubota's got the best. Their new B21 and L35 are great landscape tractors but are a little on the expensive side. Like John said, get a good used one with no more than 2K hours. My dad rented a B20 (now replaced by B21) about a year ago and we did some ditching with it and it seemed to do well with a backhoe. Now, if you're just using a loader and a 3ph, you're going to want an L35. The B20 is more of a TLB because of its low HP but the L35 will do just about anything. I'd say the L35 is what you're looking for but good luck finding a used one. If anybody sells them they have less than 1,000 hours and are about $16,000. Good luck.:)

4. CCSwanson

CCSwanson LawnSite Member

You may want to look at the Masey 231S a 43hp tractor that has many options and still reasonably priced but only 2wd

5. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

For your price range look at the 70 series John Deeres with 4wd. 870,970,1070 The 870 has 25hp at pto all the way to 35 or 36 for the 1070. They have Yanmar Diesel engines and run great. They work great with loaders. They are not true platform tractors but it is a pretty open step thru design.
    I highly recommend the 870 the one I had was used for landscaping to actually running a square baler. The 70 series are tough. Good luck in your search for what ever you buy. One more thing if your going to do a lot of loader work you will really want the 4wd option.