small loader/backhoe

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jacob land and, Feb 6, 2006.

1. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

i have a question about the john deere small chassis series tractors with a loader and a backhoe, they are fairly inexpensive and i think they would come in handy but the dig depth on them is under 6 ft. and their lift capacity is under 900lbs. i own a lawn care company right now but am planning on branching out to landscaping would one of these be useful?

2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

If you want a sub compact track go look at a kubota BX24 its a compact mini backhoe.

OR if you want something a little heavier duty but still cheap, a terramite or a allman compact backhoe.

The John Deere sub compact tractors are mostly plastic. You couldn't give me one. And this is coming from a guy they grew up as a die hard JD fan. Its all kubota from here on out.

3. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

I like my plastic JD 3120 very much... So far it's handled everything I put it up against. As for the backhoe I have for it. Personally I'd have rather used the money for the backhoe as a few payments on a excavator. It's alright for small digging jobs or trenching... But with anything that requires a medium to large amount of digging I'll rent a kubota 161. With the smaller backhoes the biggest problem if you're digging a bunch is where to put your dirt. With the limited reach (mine digs to 8') you run out of spots really fast unless it's something like trenching. Another problem is space when digging. For tight areas and such it's not even worth using the backhoe. An excavator is also much faster... It doesn't seem like a bunch but when you add up the time it takes to get off the hoe, reposition it, and get back on it... It burns up a lot of time.

4. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

what are the stipulations on excavating licenses? because i wasnt planning on doing anything to deep but still wondering? lawnscenes how has the front end loader worked for you so far?

5. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

I use the loader all the time. It's only been off the tractor once actually. It's worked very well so far. And I love how the loader control stick is positioned on the JD 20 series tractors. The loader is a 300CX BTW. I'm not sure if I mentioned that in my other post. Totally pleased with it and the tractor though. So much in fact I'm planning to get a 4120 with a 400CX loader some time this year to add some more muscle and equipment to my "fleet". Having two will also keep me from having to run around with the 3120 doing the tractor/loader work as soon as possible when I have more than one job going.

Like I said before the only complaint I have about the tractor is the backhoe. Sure it's got plenty of power for digging and such. It's just a pain for me being limited by the reach and space constraints sometimes, and the time it takes to get off the hoe, move the tractor, get back on the hoe. If you're digging a trench it'll be all you need. But for larger things it's frustrating compared to an excavator. An excavator is so much easier, faster, and efficient. And that's the reason it's 2nd on my list of purchases this year. Mowers are my #1 priority next month, then the excavator, 4120, and then maybe a compact track loader if I can afford it.

Also if you choose a JD over the others... Make sure you get the eHydro... Besides making things a million times faster when moving around... It's awesome to not have to do anything except hit a little pedal at your foot to go forward or backward.

6. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i don't know of any licenses to speak of but around here you better have a dig number if you stick a shovel in the ground

you get a dig number by calling your stats no cuts phone number

7. countyline

countyline LawnSite Member

Check with your locals, must are pretty up front about permits and lic. you have to have. It varies state-to-state, some states put a monitary$ figure with excav. This state it's $30,000, anything over you must be a lic. contractor. Hope it helps...

8. bigtime

bigtime LawnSite Member
    from nc

countyline where in nc are u

9. bigtime

bigtime LawnSite Member
    from nc

for excavation in nc it's considered a specailty contractor license. But it's also for grading too. You can do grading and not have a permit or license as long as you are not using the title Landscape Contractor. But you better have a business license depending on the county you work in and if it's inside city limits.

10. countyline

countyline LawnSite Member

Exactly,
    About 30 min. outside of Charlotte Big Time