1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Small Mobile Air Compressor

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mike's Lawn Care, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Mike's Lawn Care

Mike's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I'm trying to find a small mobile air compressor. Currently I have been using a 20 gallon air tank (portable). The problem that I run into is that the tank is always empty (at the most inconvenient time) and then we have to go to the tire shop and waste time and money. So I was wondering what u guys use. My thought is to try and get something that is small and fuel operated. I have used the 12 volt ones and I'm not fond of them.

2. mow4cash

mow4cash LawnSite Member

Look at the 1 gal senco compressor...nice and compact...Only thing is u need a generator or power inverter. Im looking my self for a nice setup in the enclosed trailer. You can get a 4gal gas compressor but they are pricey. And i feel a wheelbarrow takes up to much space.

3. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

4. mow4cash

mow4cash LawnSite Member

A little pricey but not bad...It would be nice to have since you can use air tools with it and its still somewhat compact.

5. Knight511

Knight511 LawnSite Member

Just for tires and such? Why not look to the compressors off-roaders use to air their tires back up for the drive home... $60-100 and do a good job.

6. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I used to have a air compressor mounted on my old truck. It was a couple gallons and was tied into my truck's electrical system, I could turn it on and off too if I wanted. It was great for filling up tires. It was the same compressor that the off road guys use, nice unit and worked great.

7. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

I asked a similar question a while back and the suggestion I got was to use a gas powered compressor. Only problem is I use a van and didn't want to deal with exhaust fumes, so here's what I ended up using. It's a 2hp 8 gallon compressor off of an inverter. I run air tools off of it without any issues. I also have a 5 gallon aux. tank for my air horn :cool2: . As you can see I mounted 12v and 120v receptacles at the side and rear of the van as well, and it's all tied in.

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

8. mow4cash

mow4cash LawnSite Member

Nice Inverter. When there that size do you need big batteries and big wires?

9. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

It's running off of 2 deep cycle batteries and 0 gauge wire. I do mobile fleet maintenance and marine repair on the side. I run an impact gun and an oil extractor off of it without any issues.

10. Mike's Lawn Care

Mike's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Man that is great I will keep that is mind..... However for my set up it is a little bigger than I want. My use the air compressor will be only for airing up tires and such.. But for bigger jobs that system is GREAT.... Thanks For The Input...