small operation, how long to recover from rain....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 22, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you have a small operation. let's say 80 lawns. you generally cut grass 4 days a week. you skipped them 2 weeks in a row, because it rained and never stopped. now, the grass is a foot high, wet, and covered in leaves. how many days will it take to get back on schedule

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Probably a week. But being this late in the season I wouldn't care one way or the other really.

Not only did we lose money this year in the NE with a drought, we wound up getting hit even harder when it rained for 8 straight days and had to wait even longer for the ground to dry out enough to get the mowers back on.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i dont know bobby why dont u tell us how long it takes u lol:waving:

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

well, if i can cut 20 lawns a day, under "workable conditions", then , after 10 days of rain, wind, leaf drop, and excessive growth, i can usually only do 10 a day. so, it would take 8 dry days to catch up. unfortunately, there are only 7 days in a week, so the schedule, would fall yet another week behind, before we could even catch up. then, if it rained again.......well, you would never get back to your originally anticipated schedule. it's impossible.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Like I said BG, who cares at this point in the season.

6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

you wrapped it up perfectly.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

i hear ya. i'm throwing my hands up, canceling clients, i had it with these people

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

why u have them on contract go take there money
    let them cry who cares just take the $ just go knock them down and come back the folowing week to clean up
    get r done