Small or Big Cities????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Feb 1, 2003.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

If you guys had your option of having a Lawn Service in a small city or big city, which would you choose and why? Would you rather work in a smaller city with less opportunities? Or would you rather go for the bigger cities with more opportunities? Where would you guys rather be? This should be interesting.

2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

More accounts for better $$ = Big City no ?

Less crime, Less driving, Better customers relationship,
    = Smaller city.

I've done lawncare in a city of 200,000 and now I work in a city of 20,000. The pickin's are slimmer but I like it better.

But I grew up on a small farm near a town of 800. The BIG town 20 miles away had less than 10,000. We didn't have a sigle stop light in ours or the next county.

3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I am just outside of a city of what now? 8 or 9 million? I do NOT want to go down there to work. Too much traffic, and nowhere to dump. The money is good though. I would much rather work up here though. Less traffic, less headaches.

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in a small town. I like thios better as a lot of work for non-regular customers comes from word of mouth. Alos a lot less driving and better customer relations. Big or small town, there is still so much work out there, that no other compnay and I fight over work. I will give a company a job that I do not want to do and they do the same with me.

5. Tyner Lawn Service

Tyner Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Paul in Nebraska. I know what you mean. When I got into the business back in 83 there was'nt a lot of competition here. I would hate to start out now. I do like the idea of a smaller town like I grew up in Iowa.

6. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

well i live right now in midtown toronto, there is no way i would bother with the city lots. heck, i do matchbox properties in the suburbs about 20 min north. and they dwarf city lots

obviously 1000 sq ft of turf isn't going to do it.

now, are you considering the suburbs part of the big cïty?

maybe that should be a third choice.

7. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

I am doing only smaller (1 acre max) lawns. I've found that you can make more money and spend less time on the smaller lawns. The smaller the town, usually the more things are spread out. The more spread out.... the bigger the lawns and you end up with ppl not paying enough for the hours you put in. It's just easier to find work in a bigger city with more demand.

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Bigger city, but not too big is best in my opinion.

9. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

lawnman_scott,

How big of a city are we talking about? How big do you think is too big? I think anything between 100,000 - 500,000 would be nice.