Small P/U's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blankenshiplawncare, Dec 3, 2004.

1. blankenshiplawncare

blankenshiplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone besides TJ use converted small p/u's for residential accounts? I have given it some thought. I have a few too many residential accounts that I am having a problem getting my trailer parked at. I like these accounts and will probably get many more based on my business model. Any input would be appreciated.

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i can fit my 48" mower in the back of my pickup. i did that for a few months before i got a trailer. the only issue was i needed to leave the tailgate down due to its size. either setup is fine, but i prefer the trailer.
  3. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I used to have a Nissan long bed. I made a platform,

2-2x6 1 on each side 4-2x4 across equally spaced and 3/4

plywood deck. 2-2x12 ramps that fit under deck. I made a small ramp from deck to tailgate and hinge plates were

used to hold small ramp to deck and ramps to small ramp.

My 52 Lesco fit in the back. also a trim mower or sulky.

The pockets on the sides were perfect to hold gas cans

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never used one, but once i saw a guy with a old toyota that had been converted. The box was off it, and he had fabricated a metal flatbed with a gate on it similar to that of a landscape signature. It looked like it would work out good. You probably could fit two walkbehinds on it or a ZTR and a 21" It would probably get real good fuel economy as well.
  5. we have 2 1994 isizui puckups with 5 speed 4 cylinders that we converted in 2002 and we haul a walker mower and a 32" wbh on one and a ferris 5000z onthe other have W.E racks and storage on both .............we just installed 1/2 ton springs on rear to help on the load bed length on both is 7' flat with 3' drop ......scaled down Landscape beds
  6. blankenshiplawncare

blankenshiplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds really cool. Do you have any pictures of the on the site?