Small Paver Pad Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by daveslandscaping, May 3, 2008.

1. daveslandscaping

daveslandscaping LawnSite Member

Hey guys. I have a whole project in the planning stages in north jersey: 200 wall feet of elevated, cascading retaining wall flower beds, 40 LF garden wall, mulch, riverbed gravel, flowers, shrubs, the works. I know this doesn't sound like a big job, but I just moved to north jersey from south jersey and yards are tiny up here. Never posted pics before, but prolly will on this one.

I have a great referral on this one so I am pretty much locked in on the job and I am in the final planning/budgeting/pricing stages. I have some pavers left over from a previous job and I sold the customer on removing a hideous 5'x5' plastic piece of crap that the above ground pool pump/filter sits on. The whole pool will be surrounded by riverbed gravel, and I want to make a 5x5 paver pad for the pump/filter to sit on. Just so happens my leftovers are sable for the soldier, and flashbrown for the patio, perfect match for the riverbed gravel and the red painted siding a few feet away, IMO.

Anyway, I am a little concerned with compacting a patio this small. I feel like the pavers will migrate, because the whole thing is so small and there won't be sufficient weight to hold everything tight when interlocking the pavers into the sand. You think I should skip final compaction because there will just be a pool pump sitting on it (no traffic)? I normally use concrete for edging, I've never bothered with plastic paveredge. Should I put paveredge in prior to compacting to hold everything tight, but still allow the pavers to pack down into the sand? This may be a terrible idea, but I'm dunno cuz I never use the stuff. I normally use (rent) a plate compactor, it'll be onsite for the retaining wall anyway.

Any comments/input are appreciated. You guys might think I'm nuts for this tiny little patio, but I think it will be a nice touch and really pull a few things together on the project. It would kill me to put this plastic piece of junk back down after putting in riverbed gravel, garden wall, retaining wall, etc.