Small planting Design

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mexiking, Jul 28, 2006.

1. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Heres a small plant installation we did for a customer.

DSC01483.jpg

2. mexiking

from NJ

Pic # 2 I'll try to take better pics on the weekend

DSC01485.jpg

3. mexiking

from NJ

p I C # 3 . . .

DSC01486.jpg

4. mexiking

from NJ

P I C # 4 . . .

DSC01488.jpg

5. mexiking

from NJ

LAST PIC, ZOOM is to close on some...

DSC01489.jpg

6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

if this is a completed pic.............take off the tags

the River Birch and Hinoki Cypress look as though they are too close to the house

the right corner of the house........i would have put something tall there to soften the corner and to break up the height of the house

red mulch........not my thing but if its what the customer wants...

just some food for thought

7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I would have done the corner differently. Something with some height, soften the corner. Maybe add some balance to the slope and entrance.

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Large tree on the end and the center shrubs are planted too close to the house. Other than that it looks fine.

9. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

The stone and brown bricks hurt the eyes. Don't care for the barberry, cyprus, and eccentric weeping thing either. But it seems like the client wouldn't care if they installed stone with brown brick.

I think the cyprus and hydraenga is going to compete for space in a couple of years. And some of the plants do look planted too close to the house.

Should take off the tags.

I think the cyprus red mulch looks good with the light green coarse centipede grass, but i think it would be best suited for a new coastal subdivision rather than the brown brick home with wooded backdrop. Shredded pine bark or plain hardwood mulch and possibly pinestraw out at the corner would have worked better.

Now for the positive...

I do like your choice of color and texture in the shrubs and the use of the ornamental grasses a lot. They seem to go well with the home too. I would love to see your plant list there. I think the birch goes well with the backdrop too. I'm neutral on the stone but I do think they work well with clustered iris, ornamental grass, and other such perennials.

10. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh, come on folks. Mexiking works with a very different style than most of us, but he does that style pretty well.

That is one ugly building to work with. I think that it is a good place to experiment with a little funk. It is not the greatest work for viewing the building from a distance, but it is a darn lot more interesting for the people who walk up to the front door. Its nice to see someone who dares to work with highly contrasing form, texture, and color. The rocks might seem out of place (and on this particular job they probably are), but to make all that contrast work, it relies on the rocks for unity. That is obviously something that was taught or learned by Mexiking.

My guess is that in time Mexiking will have better and more appropriate properties to apply this style to. In the mean time, experimenting and building up experience in this type of style is a good thing.

There certainly are things that are not perfect about it, but at least it is interesting.