Small pond overflow

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by WhohasHelios?, Oct 26, 2005.

1. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

I have a client with a small pond and watercourse. The overflow is 1.5" pvc and seems to have clogged.

I found the overflow, inserted a garden hose as far as i could and tried to flush it out with no success.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. dahammer

dahammer LawnSite Member

You can buy an attachment for a garden hose that might work. It swells up to form a seal inside the pipe, causing the pipe to be pressurized, and hopefully blow out the clog. It'll work if the clog isn't lodged really tight. But being this is a pond overflow, chances are there is a stick or 3 lodged in with leaves or something behind it and you'll just end up partially clearing it only for it to reclog later.

Another option would be to run one of the drain snakes down it. Sometimes you can find hardware/plumbing supply stores that will rent them or have a loaner. Else call a plumber to come unclog it for you.

Anyway, after you get unclog you should probably cap it off with some mess wire to avoid future clogs.

3. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply, I will try the attachment.

-R

4. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Use a jet nozzle on the hose and wait about 10 minutes or so to find the wet spot.....usually no farther than 5-20 feet from the pond in the lowest point (for better drainage).