1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

small problem could use some help ...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nekos, Jun 21, 2006.

1. nekos

nekos LawnSite Member
    from chicago

i have a guy that want's his entire yard riped up and reseeded.
    i would love to do the job but im not equiped to do it and in all hoonesty im not exactly sure the best way to go about it .

this guy can not find any one willing to the work but has said meny times that he will spend what ever it takes !!!

anyway im not sure if i should take the job and buy the equipment needed for it or just try and pass it off to some one else ?

any opinions or advise would be helpfull ... thx :)

BTW im already looking for some one else to do the job , just havent been able to find any one yet !!!
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

how big is the property?
    don't buy, rent the equipment that you need.
    best time for reseeding work is in the fall, not best to tackle a large project (if this is a large project) with the heat of the summer coming upon us.
  3. nekos

nekos LawnSite Member
    from chicago

the guy want's it done now !
    i beleive he renovates mid to high value homes then sell's um off so he need's to get this place looking good .

the lot is slightly over a half acre of turf that need's to be removed and reseeded.

as for renting equipment , im not even sure where to go in my area to rent the right tool's for this job.

anyway the job is most likely over my head , i would love to do it but im thinking the best thing to do would be to pass it off and hopefully be able to help with the project so i could learn how to do this correctly and exactly what equipment is needed.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

First, explain to this guy he needs to wait until fall because it's too late in the year to be seeding (or too early depending how you look at it), that grass won't germinate one, and the Jul-Aug heat will kill whatever is left.

Here's the only thing YOU need to learn: The best (and really only) time to seed is in the fall, the second best time is early spring.
    Even then there is no guarantee but your chances are better, do it now and I guarantee your chances are zero.

If he doesn't see that, RUN !

And if he doesn't give a rat because he has to have it done, then I don't give a rat because it will NOT turn out so if he wants me to do it, then he has to pay the whole thing upfront (Ohhhh Nooooo I can't do that! I can hear it now...) because if you don't get your money upfront you will never get paid from this fruity loop. Watch out for these 'business owners' whom, how do I say it, well you're not even sure what kind of business he's in, right? Well, that's because he doesn't know what he's doing either.

Because I smell trouble brewing from here, which is the reason why he can't find anybody else to do this. I get these nutcases too, this one's a fruitcake and will rip you off because all those solemn promises of the BIG money they will pay you? As soon as the grass fails to germinate they will start with the complaints and the hem-haw and see-saw and I am not paying for no results even thou you told him this would happen and you will not get paid. Make this smart guy put his cash where his mouth is first and I can almost guarantee that alone fixes it.

Another way to say it, however you decide to do it, bill in 1/4 payments and don't do no work until you have the money.
  5. nekos

nekos LawnSite Member
    from chicago

the guy is willing to pay ...
    he was almost throwing $2000 at me while explaining he will pay the rest < what ever it may be > once the job is complete :p

he also can't find any one else in my area to do the job because most are scrub's around here... myself included :p
    i personally only know of one person that can do this job correctly but he is no longer with us...
    he is the one that got me started in this business.

i don't know enough to do this job on my own but it really does hurt to pass something like this up :(

BTW any one in IL .... NW burbs lookin to make some money ??? lol
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

What do you mean he got you started in this business?
    If so, how come you're a scrub?

When your judgement is clouded by greed, you're in no shape to make financially sound business decisions.
    Obviously he flaunted some cash which put glitter in your eyes but do you have the 2 grand?
    If he was waving it like he was just throwing it at you, then why didn't you grab it?
    Your eyes are seeing green but is there any of it in your pocket?
    He will NOT pay, not in full, you will get ripped!

Open your eyes or learn the hard way, choice is yours, thou I hope you learn because you're fixing to get took.
    Run from this jerk, he is not your friend.
  7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Not hard to do, kill off exiting sod {sub it out to CL/TG} till up soil and test, add any fert or amendments that might be needed and seed. Mulch with straw. $2000 is to low you would need approx. $3000 to cover the cost of the kill and new materials and rental. That should leave you about 2k for the job
  8. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

If you think it is over your head then it probably is...IF I were still living in chi-town I would take the gig in a heartbeat!!!
  9. nekos

nekos LawnSite Member
    from chicago

haha settle down topsites ... lol
    ya i see the money but i don't have it because i know what i can and can't do.
    i would rather pass on a job that i am unsure of and pick one up that i can do correctly. i don't do shotty work and would embarrassed if i did !
    that's the main reason i said i would love to help out another LCO that know's what they are doing so i could learn.

as for the guy that got me started ...
    well he passed away 2 month's before i got my first customer.
    i had him backing me and willing to teach me as much as i was willing to learn.
    he was more then happy to help out or even do job's that i could not ... at lest until i was ready to do them on my own / with my own crew's.
    < he was one of the largest LCO's in our area, 38 crew's >

i am a scrub or should i say small 1 man LCO. while i do good work i have alot to learn, so until then i still think of myself as a scrub ... maybe it's just my way of motivating myself to get better at what i do.
  10. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

hey i'm in the nw burbs (addison), where are you located? i could explain this stuff to you in person.

anyway, olderthandirt had it right. if i'm not mistaken seed is 3-4lbs/k square feet, so figure 5 to be safe and times that by 20. 100 pounds of seed. then you can get rolled straw from shemin nurseries (forget the price) or erosion control blankets, and you can lay that over the seed. but before doing this you have to get rid of everything.

do you have a truck and a trailer, and access to a dump? if so, pay tg/cl to spray roundup everywhere, then get a sodcutter (three days should run about 125-150) and cut everything up and load it in the truck/trailer. pay a couple people to work with you to make the job quicker.

20k feet of sod removal is a lot.