Small Residential Rig

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MartinsMowing, Jan 11, 2007.

1. MartinsMowing

MartinsMowing LawnSite Member

Hey guys, i am thinking about purchasing a trailer and a walk behind. I am also thinking of getting one of those fold down tailgate ramps, and putting the equipment in the bed. It is from tailgaterramps.com, someone else on LS is using one with a ranger. It would be a lot less hassle for me to get the ramp instead of the trailer. So i was thinking, i want a 36" deck and for late 2007 or 2008 season a 48". I called a dealer in my area that sells wright standers and the lengths on a 36 and 48" are 42 and 48 inches. Thats 7.5 feet. I could fit them both in the bed and not have to deal with a trailer. Im also thinking the standers would be a perfect match for small residentials. Any thoughts? Pro's Con's

2. Villa Lawn Maintenance

Villa Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member

A bad thing that comes with not having a trailer is your equimpment could be stolen easy. Cant lock up blowers, gas, weedeaters, edgers ect. in a pick up bed unless you have a shell.

3. MartinsMowing

well i was planning to use lockable trimmer and blower racks. Keeps everything locked up and would not get in the way sitting on top of equipment in the bed.

4. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Simply not true at all. Most all racks I've seen will work on a pickup bed.

MartinsMowing it is very doable. Later, Tony

5. oak1787

oak1787 LawnSite Member

see on much them ramps are? 800.00 wow:hammerhead:

6. MartinsMowing

I found another ramp, www.rampconnection.com. Theres one on here for $540, almost the same weight capacity. If i go this route im definatly getting this one, it uses the hitch and does not need to be specificaly made for a certain truck. This way when i get a new truck, or sell it, there wont be any problems.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You are on the correct track Justmowit has setups exactly like you want with all equipment with locks. He replace the bed of his truck with a set-up that had a ramp for around $1500 as I recall. You probably could get a welder to make you a set-up for less if you wanted to keep cost down.

8. Groh's Mows

Groh's Mows LawnSite Member

This fall I purchased an older Chevy 3/4 ton with an Eagle lift tailgate. It is rated at 1000 lbs. lift capacity and was used by a man with a vending machine route to transport pop machines. I only used it a little this fall, but it was great to haul a 36" Scag wb which weighs in at approx. 500 lbs. The truck hauls the Scag, a 21" mower, blower, trimmer, etc. with plenty of room but trimmer racks would be nice just for organization as much as anything. The down side is on yards where I bag & haul off clippings I have to load around equip then off-load and reload bags at subsequent stops. I'm thinking a headache rack would make it more versitile. Overall, the trade was more than worth it vs. towing 16' double axle trailer behind ext cab pick-up. Way easier to park and get around in some neighborhoods and can always find parking spot close to account.

9. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

For many years I used a full size p/u with 2 wooden ramps with Rampart tops on them. A 36 walk behind 2 21" push and weedeaters and blowers all fit. Very simple and lucrative. Some chance of theft though, just stay out da' hood.

PS A 32" or 36" walk behind is Ideal for this set up. Easy to load and unload and very managable weight. Riders and standers are very hairy on ramps. Walkbehinds that are narow enough to fit in the truck easily are great.

10. MartinsMowing

newbomb, the ramp that i would be using is one peice. Its just like a trailer ramp, square tube framing and that metal mesh covering it. So i figure as long as the angle is not to great i shouldnt have any problems. I could walk right up with the mower, not have to straddle a gap between 2 ramps.