Small retaining wall, please take a look!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lamblawnscaping, Mar 8, 2002.

1. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

I would like to get some advice from those of you who are experienced in small retaining walls. Attached is a pic, I would like to transition the cut-in into a retaining wall made of the stackable blocks available at home depot. The wall should start about 8 feet off the porch and wrap around back to the foundation of the house. I was just wondering how much you would charge for this job (before you ask me a million questions just look at the pic and come up with your own solution), and what things should I be thinking about, that I might miss when doing my first retaining wall.
  2. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

oops forgot the pic, here it is

3. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

The blocks sold by Home depot and Lowes are designed to be only 6 courses high. Is this going to be high enough. The thickest I've seen is 6" so it would be a max of 36". If you need to be taller the makea larger block that is pegged together.
  4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Figure about $35 per face foot. Things to remember, down spout needs to be moved, underground utilities are near that corner and use a commerical wall unit, not a home owner unit. My reason on a commerical unit is you can get help desiging your wall.
  5. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

To get the kind of help that Paul is suggesting, call L.C.Smith in Alexandria and ask for Bill Bland. They carry several types of block.
  6. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like you're going to be over 3' on the backside. Most contractor grade block will go 4' without eng. ( keystone, Diamond, Rockwood, Unilock, etc...) As far as Lowes block, just remember you get what you pay for. If what you're looking to make is a planting circle around that corner, figure what you'll be planting and size accordingly. If its for a specimen tree get it away from the house a good 10'. If that's the case I figure approx. 90 sq. ft. at $22-35 a foot.
    Make sure you have a clause for intangibles like utilities and bad access.
  7. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I cannot stress enough the need for a laser leveling device for this type of work. Especially on longer walls with multilevels. You can do it with out one, but the investment is well worth it.
  8. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

For bigger work a laser is nice but a standard builder level works for most of these smaller jobs, a bigger help would be a direct reading rodthis way you set your evevation once and can read all the grade changes with out doing any math! :)
  9. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Paul, I'm having trouble finding them in english inches (ie 1/4, 1/8). They seem to all be in tenths or fifths.
  10. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict