Small Scale Blade Sharpening

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NORTHMAN, May 30, 2007.

1. NORTHMAN

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Unlike many of you that run multiple mowers and have a number of blades to sharpen,I'm small,I have a ZTR and a 21" mower,whats the most efficient way to sharpen them?

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Workbench vice and a sidearm grinder.

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

4 and 1/2 inch angle grinder. blade in vise mounted on workbench. will cost you about 100 bucks for both.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Harbor Freight sells 4.5" Chicago Electric grinders for around $10-$18 each (depends if on sale), and for many years I just hold the blade in one hand while I grind it OR set it down like on a porch step with the dull edge hanging over air and put my foot down on the other end, then hit that thang with the grinder, 1-2 minutes / blade and you're done. Splurge $5 on a generic blade balancer and you sharpen / balance like the pros for just under $25.

Peace

5. fitzg2md

fitzg2md LawnSite Member

Was in northern tools the other day. They are selling some generic 4.5 grinder for 9 bucks! To think I bought my dewalt 4.5 for 80! I could have replaced the 9 buck one....ohh...almost 9 times! hahaha. Can hardly buy a blade for that much -MF

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Buy a extra set of blades so you have a set already sharp ready to go 24/7

7. NORTHMAN

from NJ

Thanks for the help.What kind of wheel do I use?

8. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Northman,
    I was at our local Lowes store yesterday and they are discontinueing their blade ballancer line. They had the MTD metal pivot balancers reduced to $1.99!!!! I don't know if this was a mistake or what, they are usually about $12.00.
    Could be one of the best purchases you'll make.

9. NORTHMAN

from NJ

Thanks,I'll try to stop by today or tomorrow.Who else makes an affordable balancer?

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

That works...........