Small scale hardscaping help

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by theguynextdoor, Feb 28, 2008.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

I am very impressed by a lot of your work. Takes a lot of skill for those large scale projects. I am going to be doing a few small scale landscaping walls (not very high at all) more for the purpose of decoration than engineered retaining walls. What do you guys put under them? These wouldn't be taller than 1 foot at the most, and drainage i dont think is a big issue. Whats the best type of stone to put under them and how deep? I would love to learn how to do the larger scale ones, but for now ill have to suggest someone else if anyone asks.

Another thing, I have a customer that wants 1 square foot pavers put in to make a walkway to his back yard. He just wants them in the grass, a few inches apart to to the back yard, with grass inbetween. what is the best way to dig up a 1 square foot section of grass, someone suggested a sod cutter. What should go under them so they dont sink and how deep in the grass should they be? This isn't really hardscaping, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks for the help

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Around here we use CA6 or road pack for our base material for patios and walls. You will need to dig out deep enough to get below the frost/freeze line in your area, around here that is about 4" for our area. If your going to be using 12" patio bricks and assuming their 2" thick your going to need to dig out to a 6" depth or deeper for your area. The small wall the same rule applies except you will want to place your first row of blocks half underground and make sure each base block is level. When setting blocks work from the lowest end and work up if the area isn't completely level.

3. Paver Gangster

Paver Gangster LawnSite Member

4. theguynextdoor

Thank you. I made the mistake of not starting on the low end for a small wall I did at my aunts...won't do that again.

What exactly is road pack? How big is the stone?

5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

CA6 or roadpack is 3/4" and smaller rock with crushed limestone and makes a good solid base for walls and patios. I'm not sure what they call it where your at but its what we use all the time around here.

6. theguynextdoor

How would you guys suggest creating a 1 square foot hole in the grass, 6 inches deep...is there a such thing as a sod cutter for this? I would rent one if needed. Should the top of the brick be level with teh ground, or the top of the grass?....I think I might try to talk him into puting stone around them or mulch. The problem is, its right in the middle of the lawn. Would be much easier to rip it all up and fill it iwth stone/mulch. I suppose i would separte it from the grass with that black edging...which I don't really like. Any other suggestions to separate it?

7. ALLoutLandscaping

ALLoutLandscaping LawnSite Member

nothing like a good old shovel, if you are going to use black poly edging, make sure you dont go to home depot or something and buy a roll, go to somewhere where its layed out in full lenght strips, you will never get a roll of edging to lay strait. as far as the mulch or rock, i would try to convince him, more money and realitvly easy, if you are going to rip up more that just the steps i would look to rent a sod cutter, but if you lay rock make sure you lay poly underneath to prevent weeds, i personally use a product called preen and spread it in underneath the poly and ontop of the poly, exspecially in the mulch, weeds can actually grown in the mulch its self. nothing looks worse than weeds in a landscaping

8. theguynextdoor

Thank you for the help. Yeah, i knew to put the poly under the rock, but I didn't think about the preen. Good idea. I did a few steps like this in my own yard last summer, but I think I'll make a pathway to my backyard, and do it the right way before I do this other house. My dad wants it done anyways.

Thanks for the help.

9. amazingscapes

amazingscapes LawnSite Member
    from England

It's interestiing how you guys use the word 'sod' for turf. Also i saw a programme on telly once that show American landscapers laying 'sods' or turves as wee call them and they were square. Over here (UK) it always comes in a role. We don't have to worry about frost heave when laying paving either coz' it's generally not cold enough.

10. ALLoutLandscaping

ALLoutLandscaping LawnSite Member

im sorry..... personally i would not give up the feezing cold winters for anything, i love snow. And ice fishing, yes i am from minnesota, and yes we do drive trucks out on the lake, no we dont use "you betcha" as part of our regular dialouge.....

Sod comes in a roll here, in the great USA turf man made grass, or at least thats what the redneck town i come from thinks.