Small sidewalk snowblowers?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Yardworks, Dec 3, 2000.

1. Yardworks

Yardworks LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone has had better luck with these small push sidewalk blowers(the type with the rubber bladed augers) I have a John Deere TRS 21 type. It's a 5 HP,21 inch wide. I usually just shovel unless it's over 3 inch, then it's faster for me to blow first and then go over with a shovel. But this blower, being a single stage, throws snow all over out the front and plugs a lot when you hit a light spot of snow or if it's a little wet. Do any of the other brands work better? I want something small and light. I know a 2-stage wouldn't throw snow out the front, but I don't think anyone makes a small 2 stage. If they don't, someone should.

2. snow

snow Guest

I have an old snapper single stage 2 stroke that i thought was a POS. it would clog in the littlest snowfalls and seemed like junk. alan has one and likes it, and i told him mine wouldn't work and he knew exactly what was happening. the belt that turns the auger is loose or the spring which engages the augers is bent. $20 and my sidewalk machine will be back. I'd check to see if that could be your problem. I have a 2 stage ariens, but if i get the single stage fixed, I'll use it for small driveways and sidewalks.

Bryan

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I use my Toro CCR 2xxx over a foot deep snow with no probs.

4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I had three of those snow blowers, and they all were terrible. If they didnt dtart, they would clog every three feet. I sold them for about 1/3 of what I paid for them. They are actually made by MTD, they are the exact copy of the husky 21" blower, which is also made by MTD.
    By the recommendation of my power equip dealer, I purchased a honda 621 single stage snow blower. I liked it so much that last year I bought another. It has plenty of power, and will easily go through 12" of snow, we have gone through alot more in drifts. It clogs occasionally, but only about 1-2x per storm instead of 1-2x per 10' with the deere.
    Honds now makes a unit Harmony 520 which replaced the 621, I hear it is just as good. Pricing is about 650-700 but well worth it. Starts first or second pull everytime.
    Dino

5. cwlo

cwlo LawnSite Member

For what I consider a midsize blower, the Honda 520 seems to be the top choice. For the smaller category, the Toro CCR Powerlite is a real nice machine that is a bit smaller and lighter. It can be lifted very easily, (its about half the weight as the Honda) and is the perfect machine if you need to carry it around. It will do just about everything the Honda can do, except it will take longer, as its narrower, and will throw the snow a bit less in distance. it runs about $400. The Honda about $600.

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

MY VOTE goes for the toro ccr2000 also wich is 4.5hp. They discontinues it but they noe have a 5hp, a 6.5hp and i heard they even have a 7hp now. There incredable machines. I use mine in any snows up to 10 inches and its increadable... removes snow and wet slush right down to the driveway without any clogging at all. Ive used the single stage ariens too wich are also really good.

7. Yardworks

Yardworks LawnSite Member

I was wondering if the Honda threw snow off to the side like my deere? For me the right side of the blower is terrible, the left side better, but it still throws some snow back where I've already cleaned.

8. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

The honda will only throw snow where you want it. The only to check is the small clamp that keeps the shute in a particular location is prone to sand and salt getting in it, and it makes the shute slightly unmanagable to turn. Just wash it out at the end of the storm and you will be fine, a little lithium grease helps as well.
    Dino

9. Alan

Alan Member

I have the problem with snow coming out the end of the auger on my Snapper as well but it's no big deal to cure it. Just angle the blower a little as you go along the walk. Same idea as tacking a sailboat, the blower is pointing to about 10:30 but moving (pulling itself along) towards 12:00 O'clock. Then it tosses whatever snow it will out the front, but the front is now pointing into the unplowed snow. Granted, you lose 2-3 inches of clearing width, but if you can take 4-5 inches of snow, 15 inches or so wide and toss it away as fast as you care to walk, that's not real shabby. No big deal, ya just gotta be smarter than the machine. :)

10. Samurai WeedWacker

Samurai WeedWacker LawnSite Member

Honda 521 or 621 is the way to go. I liked my Toro CCR2000s but I love my Hondas. Snapper sux & MTD single-stage is even worse.