Small stone job.. help with bid please

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawn-Scapes, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

A customer asked me if I could put some 1/2" red landscape stone down in a couple of landscape beds.. I've never done stones before but it can't be much different than mulch.. can it?

I calculate that I will need about 1 yard (1.25 ton) My cost for the stone will be $62.

I will need to rake existing mulch out of beds, lay plastic and place the stones down..

I am figuring $75 for the stone

Delivery $30

Cost of the plastic $?

and labor... 2 hours $90

~ $200.... Does this sound about right?

2. RwADesigner

RwADesigner LawnSite Member

Hey Tom...

I dont know if this helps....but we do mostly stone, gravel, and landscape design/installation...so i know more about how to charge for stone than i do for maintenance...so this may help

On everything that i will need for the job that will be used (your stone, plastic, etc.) I take that total (your cost) X (10%) for profit on materials....

then just figure in your hourly rate in..

so if stone cost $65 (65) x (.10)= $6.50 total for stone will be $71.50

hope this helps......

lata
    RWA

3. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

What about landscape fabric (soil separator) cloth between stone and the bed... this way water will move through the bed.

Stone moves slower than mulch, so the 2 hours or a little more makes sense for 1 ton of gravel. You might have more or less labor prepping the site. As well, you may want to put the gravel/stone down at at least 2" thick so the fabric/plastic doesn't show through. This might require a little more material than quoted, depending on square footage.

4. RwADesigner

Best way to do it..is..

1. figure cost of materials. x(10%)
    2. figure prep time .........and you are right..prep time with your situation is a more strenious and time consuming task

3. figure in actual time for moving stone

4. figure in time for cleanup

5. always member to figure in a cost for gas/delivery charge...on all jobs...etc...etc...

Is there any digging involved for prep..etc..etc...

i would say...if not much digging is involved....3.5 or so hrs (includes prep time, loading gravel into place, and cleanup) 1 man......

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

$62 a ton? damn. i get 3/4" red stone here for $28 a ton. a ton covers 100 sq. ft, 2" thick. and as far as delivery, even a small pickup will carry a ton of stone with ease, y dont u pocket the $30 yurself and pick it up? the fabric should cost u about $12 . we charge $125 a ton for the stone, picked up, delivered and installed. so the stone and fabric would run about $147. add labor cost for clearing or prepping the area.

6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the help guys.. I will add another hour for labor.

bobbygedd.. the delivery charge is for me picking it up. Thanks

7. gslam88

gslam88 LawnSite Member

So some of you guys only charge 10% over the cost of the materials? do you charge at least a delivery charge to cover your costs.

I usually double my material costs and then depending on how far from the yard it is, say hour of so charge a delivery charge. Always try to make a min of $50 an hour for drops like that.

but also I am usually working on 5-10 ton so with the overhead built in the cusotmer does not balk as he does not see the delivery charge.

I had one tire kicker today as for topsoil only wanted a couple of yards so I gave him my price, he said I was a little hight. I said ok fine. I also asked how much the other people were asking. It turned out to be about 15% percent over my costs or about $10 bucks over cost.

There is no way I would do that for so little, would you guys????

:alien:

8. RwADesigner

for small jobs like that one..i only charge .10 to cost of material....add in delivery charge...and labor.....very good for 3 hrs of work...

now on big jobs...or landscaping..shrubs..etc....i double...my material cost.....but with small stone jobs like this one...no sense in doing that..because it is much more reasonable to charge for labor....
    1. you should have an idea about how long it will take...

2. such little amount of material..no need to double.....

Different strokes for different folks....always worked here..in MS, and TN

but im sure some people charge different...

:)...have fun life is short

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Tom, you mentioned having to rake out old mulch and I assume haul away and pay to dump. If you're putting in a yard of stone, I'm guessing there'd be close to a yard of old mulch coming out.
    Didn't see that figured into your pricing though. Just wanted to make sure you factor it in.

Let us know how it goes.