Small Stream

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by ppl, Feb 8, 2009.

1. ppl

ppl LawnSite Member

I do alot reading here and thought that I post some photos of some water features and get some feed back.

hartman2.jpg

hartman7JPG.jpg

hartman4.jpg

2. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

LOOKS GREAT! Good mix of rock sizes. Especially liked the fact that you have vegetation at the stream edge. This is the 'icing on the cake' for a natural look. Really nice.

3. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Not too bad. Some smaller pea type gravel wouldnt' look to bad mixed into the base of the stream to further enhance the naturalistic effect. The carex will look really nice once they fully mature.

4. ppl

ppl LawnSite Member

pea gravel mixed with the large would help. I will be taking pictures as the year goes on every quarter.

5. XStream Aquatics

XStream Aquatics LawnSite Member

looks like you might have mulch wash in if you have a heavy rain.

6. ppl

ppl LawnSite Member

I am trying to avoid the cobble border look, where rock is placed around the edge. Once plant are established should not be a huge concern

7. tadpole

If I were to add/change anything, it would be the possible addition of larger cobbles. There is a fairly large size gap between the larger rock and the small cobble that you used. With all due respect, pea gravel is not usually found in a mountain type stream, but usually in a valley stream.

8. scooterbug311

scooterbug311 LawnSite Member

i will have to disagree with tadpole. there is pea gravel in high mountain streams. i live in colorado and our rivers and streams have pea gravel in them. and that is just facts

9. tadpole

Scooterbug is right. I should have been more detailed in my comment. Pea gravel does not occur in high mountain streams where there is a strong flow. The pea gravel is carried downstream to a section of the stream with a slower flow where it will settle out. Thanks for catching me on that!

10. XStream Aquatics

XStream Aquatics LawnSite Member

I like to use a small type gravel around my low spots on the edges and then bring the mulch up to and over slightly thus giving the same effect. Tadpole is right, I would use some larger cobblers along the edges instead of the large gravel. If there are dogs or kids around you are going to be constantly putting the small river rounds back. In the third pic it looks like you can see the liner on the top edge, just an example of how these rocks will always shift. I like the less is more effect with the boulders, some installers try and use to many boulders.