1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Small Time Business Help

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by squirrel17, Mar 5, 2011.

1. squirrel17

squirrel17 LawnSite Member

I've been cutting lawns for about 5 years. Each year seems to be a struggle to keep the right number of customers. I work by myself and would like to keep it that way. The only customers I have lost have been because they have moved, died, or decided to pay a family member who lost their job. I was going to send out letters to all of my customers from last year to let them know I will be back at it again. I would like to pick up just a few more customers and I will be set. Does anyone have advice for a small timer like myself on how to pick up some new customers? What is the best way to advertise? Local paper, craigslist, flyers???

2. Brodie

Brodie LawnSite Member

Id suggest target some flyer distrubution to lawns on your current route that look a little un-tidy. if you dont want masses of new clients then dont target large groups. But as you are doing your daily mowing route have a look at the lawns in the street and surrounding area and just drop a flyer into the mailbox. As I see it that is more of a targeted approach to your marketing.

3. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Ask your current customers if they know of anyone that needs your services. And look that the yards around where you are cutting.

4. dcjb

dcjb LawnSite Member

i agree with jsslawncare, i also am also a small bussiness, (13 years) as long as your customers are happy with your work, let them know your looking for more work, mine always have a friend, family or neighbor that needs help.

5. squirrel17

squirrel17 LawnSite Member

Will do. Thanks for the help.

6. rnd

rnd LawnSite Member

Doesn't matter size of company anyone can make themselves look professional.

Visit our website at rndsigns.com and download a FREE marketing handbook and planner which is a very quick and informative read.

We offering very competative pricing a long with great products any one of our sales team would love to answer any questions you have! call us 800-328-4009