1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Small Tools with KEYS (ASDFGHJKL:)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Oct 6, 2000.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Well, I got my 850 Thunderbird screamer going. Then the USB scanner cable or short in the motherboard fried the board :mad: So now I am waiting on pieces to put it back together. I had to put my old 250 MMX back together, man this sux.
  2. Compaq Presario at 380mhz and a Diamond Supra Express external 56K modem.

There are at least a half dozen FREE 56K dial up ISP's with local access numbers.

I have installed four: Alta Vista, Juno, NetZero and Barnes and Noble.

All connect faster and provide more reliable service than the for-pay ISP's not getting any more money from me: Earthlink and First Internet Alliance.

3. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Micron 533 p3 250zip on earthlink @56k. DSL or cable modem at the years end as my podunk town is just arriving in 1997 later this year.
  4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We need a new computer as Eric himself knows I have had many problems with my Packard piece of @#%^& Bell. We are looking at gateway from a local dealer and 1-800 support. My Packard bell will become a nice target to try my new AR15 on!!!
  5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Build your own. its not hard, its half price of a boxed one with the latest technology and at least you arent stuck with a tower full of proprietary parts you have to ship of to some cow barn in "gateway Country" and wait six weeks for it to be fixed. Ex., a 300 dollar Dell motherboard you need to send out for or a 49 dollar Asus you can pick up at the PC Farm around the corner?

Take a locally given class in PCs and forget about the 1-800 support nonsense.
  6. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a mac guy.

450 mghz G4 with 256 megs RAM, 20 gig hd, firewire and USB.
    I am elcheapo when it comes to internet...FREE.
    I use Freeinet and I always get on around 44,000.
    I also just tried Freeservers.com through excite and it seems to work fine. The only drawback is the ad bar at the top...but if you dial up through remote access and never launch the IP software, you never get the ad bar !

Let's take bets. Mr. Stone is using a 386 that he rebuilt with 8 megs of RAM and a 160 meg HD.

What do you think ?