Small town company trying to get in to new area!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by amvega, Mar 1, 2006.

1. amvega

amvega LawnSite Member

We are a very reliable and dependable company in our small town, but we are trying to expand to a big area that is extremely competive. Was wondering if you guys have any input on how to get a foot in the door? Is it the pricing or the image that you give to the customer? Also what kinda marketing would you do? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

In my area (pop 325,000 +) if you can get a contactor just to SHOW UP you're doing good. I guess what I'm saying is showing up is 3/4 of the battle for success

3. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

We made a move like that 2 years ago, and it paid off. New logo's, new trucks with name, new flyers, new shirts for the guys. Large enclosed trailers with large "billboard" like signage. Prices stayed the same, the bottom line is. The work speaks for itself. JMO Good Luck.

4. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I live in Wichita, KS....which has about 400,000 people in it. I have noticed that if you do good work, you will get noticed. People in bigger cities also are impressed by returned calls and good customer service, you would think that would be a necessity being in business.

5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems like a lot of part-timers in this easy to get into business who are just making a few dollars for new truck payment, pay a few bills,etc. so they don't show up week after week on a regular basis. I have heard from a few my customers that the last guy they had would not show up week after week so I am mowing their yards now.

DO NOT fall for the trap that the last guy they had was cheaper. They got rid of the last guy for a reason and now they must pay for a dependable service and probable do a better service.

What works to expand in other areas is the holy grail of lawn marketing knowledge. I can't divulge that knowledge other than to say you never know what works except to try it all once (i.e. flyer's, newspaper ads,etc. ). Whoops I just gave out the secret. :laugh: :laugh:

6. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

When I tried expanding to a new area several years ago I passed out flyers with an edge. I promoted lawn will be cut on fridays. It was very successful. Something to excite them into calling. I have been doing them for 7 years now and any time after wednesday is fine now.

7. ynvvbr

ynvvbr LawnSite Member

AMVEGA,

what area you going for??? Harrisburg or State College???

Mike

8. LANDSCAPER30

LANDSCAPER30 LawnSite Member
    from IN

It's amazing to me when the customer tells me that I was the only one that either called back or showed up. I just can't imagine not doing so. Keep your appointments and you will be fine.