Small Trailer Guys---Who is towing with 6 Cylinder Trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Boaz, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Boaz

Boaz LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

As I scour craigslist for a work truck, I see some good deals on the older Ford 300 inline six cylinder trucks and the work truck trimmed out newer 4.2L V-6 F150's. I am going to run a 10 foot enclosed trailer as a solo outfit with one Zturn, a push and trimmer/blower and tools etc. I WANT a diesel truck even thought I KNOW I don't NEED one at this stage in the game. I know I will probably upgrade in the future, so I keep going back and forth on this... $1500-$3K gets a nice used 6 banger F150, or spend $5k-$9k on a higher mileage 7.3L Powerstroke or a Cummins. Either way, I need a long bed and 2WD for the area I am in.

So how many folks are happy campers running 6 cylinder trucks for the towing rig? Any regrets? Did you install bigger transmission coolers to help out with longevity? Thanks for any input. I apologize if this has been covered, I didn't see much when I searched.

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Get the 6 cylinder and save some cash. I'm running an 85 dodge d150 with a 318 (V6 Power level) and it pulls my 16' trailer easily as long as I keep it under 7K. To many big ego guys out there getting a 1ton to do a 1/2 tons job just to get a big truck.

3. Boaz

Boaz LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Ok. I found a 300 inline 6 local in decent shape for $1500. I might go look at it tomorrow.

4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

That ford 300 has more pulling torque than the 302 v8.

5. S&M Landscapes

S&M Landscapes LawnSite Member

I have an 89'hour f150 with the i6, and i absolutely love it. Has great torque and is a tuff truck.
    I added some 250trades leaf springs and i pull a 14' enclosed or a 16' utility daily with 2 scag ztrs.

With a 10' you will love it.

Get a trailer with brakes if possible.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Boaz

Boaz LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Auto or manual? The one in question has a manual..

7. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I started with '94 F-150 300 inline 6 short bed with almost 200,000 miles. I put 2X10" side boards on it & 1500LB helper springs & hauled 3 yards of mulch all the time with no problem! Great truck, still have as backup!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. S&M Landscapes

Boaz, mine is an auto, but i would prefer a manual.

You wont be dissapointed!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Boaz

Boaz LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

This is motivating. I am bootstrapping this business and its good to hear 6 cylinders can get the job done!
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. S&M Landscapes

There is a whole heap a' difference between a v-6, and a inline6.

I plan on buying another one.
    Posted via Mobile Device