Small Trailer Guys---Who is towing with 6 Cylinder Trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Boaz, Oct 13, 2012.

1. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

Must have been Cats, think they the only one making a 15L.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

My back up truck (which I used for 2 years pulling a trailer) is a 2005 Silverado with 4.3L manual and it'll pull a 6x10 trailer with 2 walk behinds without much trouble. Sure it feels it going up hill but it does the trick when I need it to.

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Yea I was gona say big trucks have 6 cylinders too my ram 4500s are 6 cylinders. And they tow 7000-10000 pound trailers with ease.

4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

14.7 was a DD series 60 the other was a C15 cat, I like the series 60 better for the big hills out west, it had a wider power band but the cat is better on the east coast driving.

5. Boaz

Boaz LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

6 cylinder gas engines.... I did not specify earlier.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

the 300 six has been around for a long time. it could be one of the best engines they built.

7. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

I drive a Honda Ridgeline with a six cylinder. Tows my 10 ft enclosed with a 48" walk behind and push mower plus accessoies easily.
    I just hate driveing full sizes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I had a 95 F-150 with the inline 6. It was a great truck, pulled a 16' open trailer for several years with it.

With one Ztr it did great, with two it struggled a bit. Very dependable truck!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. smitty's lawncare

smitty's lawncare LawnSite Member

i roll solo with a 2005 gmc sierra with the 4.3 v6 5 speed. i love my truck to death. i work out of it and it is also my daily driver. it pulls my 10ft trailer with a scag 36'' wb, velky, toro push mower, husquvarna blower and shindaiwa weeeater with absolutely no problem. i believe a v6 makes for a perfect work truck because it is easy on gas and matinence is very easy. i do all my own mechanic work on my equipment as well as on my truck and im sure others can agree with me when i say a 4.3 v6 is about the easiest engine to work on as well as one of the most reliable engines out there. i also would suggest a manual transmission because it pulls the best and it helps out with gas mileage. hope this comes in handy! take care!

10. tbambersvc

tbambersvc LawnSite Member

I'm towing with an '11 F150 with the Ecoboost 3.5l engine. While the engine has a ton of power and tows the trailer (8x10 aluminum) with the mowers or 2 utility quads on it with ease, the gas mileage sucks, like 10mpg sucks. I think that has to do with the 3.31 gearing out back, but not sure. Great truck, hell of a lot nicer inside than my Dodge was.